August 17, 2009

Foundation Review #2: Illamasqua Rich Foundation (liquid)


I have been looking for a full coverage foundation, especially for Winter when I have a lot of things to hide: dry patches, more redness on the cheeks that prevents me from wearing some blush colors... And I thought this could be the one. Bummer.

PROS:
- extremely covering, you don't even need concealer, I have never seen that before
- same nice packaging as the light foundation (used to be the black packaging but they're now transitioning to the transparent one, so you might get one or the other for now).
- same nice smell too

CONS:
- so thick it's hard to apply, even with a brush, even on top of a primer
- you feel it on your skin since it's quite heavy
- flat matte, althoug you can solve that by using either the Illamasqua Satin Primer or a highlighter
- made every imperfection on my skin more visible, not in terms of colors of course, but well in terms of texture since it's so thick, which didn't look natural nor pretty at all
- some people have reported it not being water or sweat resistant, but since my face doesn't sweat easily, I couldn't tell

Would I repurchase?
No, I am actually selling the product I have after only 2 attempts at making it work (once without primer, once with satin primer). I would say it's not a foundation for everybody because applying it is tricky and you need some experience to blend it correctly, I guess. But what turned me off the most is the aspect on my skin. From a distance it does look flawless but looking close, all flaws are very visible and I think this would only make my dry patches more wearable in Winter time.

I got shade 135 for this one, since I intended to wear it in Winter mostly, but I should have gotten 125 because 135 is very yellow. More yellow than an NC15 or NC20 - beware.

I give it 1 out of 5 stars for the coverage, but it's too hard to make it work.
So that's a product I really wanted to love but ended up not liking at all, unfortunately.

2 comments:

  1. I was a bit disappointed with this initially as well. I got the sane shade (135) and it is quite yellow, as well as a bit too dark. The more I use it though, the more I'm finding it to be my go-to foundation. I'm dying to try the satin primer with it, as it is to matte for my already dry skin, and I agree that it does emphasize uneven texture more than I'd like, but I've found that if I use a traditional foundation brush (Like MAC's 190) to apply it to my problem areas and then use a dense, short bristled chisel brush to buff it in and spread it, the coverage is natural and flawless at the same time. Now I just need to find the right shade! I may try the cream next though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I didn't put enough effort in it, but really, I don't like my foundation to be a lot of work.
    The Light one, or my Chanel, I can buff into my skin in seconds with a kabuki and off I am. This one is realy too much work for me.
    What I am going to miss is its coverage, though, I have never seen any equivalent.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!