September 13, 2009

Beauty on a budget : Favourite drugstore makeup products.

I realise that from my previous posts, I probably sound like some posh girl who only shops for high end products. Well, I am not - I have quite a few drugstore items in my collection, some of them I have been repurchasing for years. I think especially in the economy right now, everybody might need to cut down into their makeup budget but that doesn't mean you can't find great products anymore. So I thought I'd tell you about my favourites.

Mascaras.
Since mascaras use up quite quickly and you have to toss them after a few months anyway, I have always found it hard to spend a lot of money on them. Especially as there are so many good drugstore mascaras.
The ones I use include: Maybelline Colossal, Bourjois Volume Clubbing, Nivea Volume NanoDefinition and Rimmel Sexy Curves.
Excepted for the Rimmel Sexy Curves which is more of a lenghtening, curling mascara, all the others are volumizing products with big fat brushes. That's what I like, those tiny latex brushes have never done anything for my lashes.
If I had to live with only one of these, I'd pick Nivea, and Maybelline would be a close second.

Eyeshadows and blushes.
I have moved away from drugstore eyeshadows because the ranges offered are very limited in terms of colors and always determined by the current trends. I like more variety.
But I do have a few eyeshadows from Bourjois, as well as blushers, and I think they're decent products. Blanc Diaphane and Noir Emeraude are staples in my collection.
As far as loose eyeshadows are concerned, the only drugstore brand around here that carry them is Gosh, and they have great colors!

Eyeliners.
I like Rimmel Exxagerate eyeliner a lot, for it's felt tip and blackness. But I also have a ton of Gosh liners in all forms: their pencils are great and come in a very wide range of colors, and their liquid liners (including some glitter ones) are extremely pigmented and very very waterproof. Love them.

Lipsticks/lipglosses.
I like Maybelline for those, as well as L'Oreal. Gosh also has glittery glosses that are perfect dupes for Mac dazzleglasses.

Brows.
Essence, a german brand, has very cheap products that work great. Both their brow kit (including powder, stencils and mini brush) and brow gel are priced under 3€!! Great deal and work perfectly!

Highlighter.
Prestige Minerals sells some blushes and bronzers that I find are perfect dupe for Mac MSF's, and for half the price.

Foundation and powder.
This is the trickiest one. I personally think that a good foundation is something to invest in. But when I was on a budget, I used Maybelline DreamMatte mousse for years. I liked it a lot, I had a perfect color match in their range, and it made my skin look good. The only thing I didn't like was that it did transfer quite a lot. But well, I like it and still have a backup in a drawer. I also still use the DreamMatte powder.
I must add that I have heard a million good things about Revlon ColorStay foundation, but I don't have access to it here and never tried it.

Nailpolishes.
I buy these from a lot of brands, including Rimmel (their 60 second polishes are fantastic), Nivea and Gosh.


If you tried these out and have an opinion, or if you want to add something, feel free to do so in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!