October 22, 2009

Favourite hair products

I love spending lots of time playing with makeup. But when it comes to hair, I am the opposite. I want it to be fabulous, but I don't want to have to work too long to get results, nor do I want to use tons of products because I know they do build up and make you hair look so blah.

I thought I'd tell you about my favourite hair products. Most of them are pro products, that I get from a beauty supplies store. They are more expensive than drugstore of course, but I can really see and feel the difference - lots of drugstore shampoos irritate my scalp.
My hair is shoulder-length and naturally wavy. Since white hair is already a reality for me *sigh*, I do color my hair every 2 months with a semi-permanent dye, from the L'Oreal Professionel Richesse line. Even if I don't go to the salon and dye my hair at home, I still use Richesse.

My favourite shampoos.
I rotate between several shampoos, depending on my needs of the moment.
  • During the 3-4 weeks after I have dyed my hair, I use the L'Oreal Professionel Vitamino Color shampoo, to protect my color.
  • When I want to wear my hair curly (which I don't, most of the time), I will use L'Oreal Professionel Shine Curl Shampoo.
  • Sometimes if my scalp gets irritated for some reason, I would use L'oreal Professionel Sensi Balance Shampoo for a couple of days.
  • And when I have no special need, I use Swatzkopf Bona Cure Hydrating shampoo because my hair is quite dry on the ends.
Masks and conditioners.
I don't use conditioners anymore, I rather use a mask and just leave it on a couple of minutes, and I don't always use one because my roots tend to get oily. I rotate between L'Oreal Professionel (yes, again) Absolut Repair mask and Liss Ultime mask when I go for the ultra straight look.

I also have a couple of leave-in conditioners that I don't use on a regular basis, but that I sometimes need, like Bed Head Ego Boost to repair split ends, or Bed Head Control Freak Serum. This one is supposed to straighten and control frizzes but actually it makes my hair quite curly, hum.

Styling.
I don't use many styling products, as I said I don't like to put a lot of stuff on my hair.
When I go for piecy hair and straight style, I use Sebastian X-tah Clay, it's a bit hard to manipulate but it works wonders. If I just want some spray, I use Garnier Fructis (the only drugstore product from my whole selection).

If I want to go for the wavy/curly look, I have 2 great products:
  • As a conditioner, Osis+ Loopy Curl cream, that I apply on wet hair before leaving it to dry naturally. (Warning, just apply a nut size of it!)
  • As a styling product, GHD Sea Spray for matte waves, which unlike a lot of Sea Sprays, doesn't make my hair feel crunchy.
Tools.
I use Braun tools on my hair, I find they work quite good for non-professional products. I have a Braun blowdryer and a Braun flat iron for straightening. I also own a generic curling iron that I really don't use often.
In the coming months I plan on getting a GHD Styler IV, because I do use the straightener pretty much every day (if not everywhere, at least on my bangs) and I think the GHD is worth the investment because it's supposed to damage the hair less than other straighteners.

Well that's it. Although this can look like a lot of products for someone who claims they don't spend much time caring for their hair, I have to say that I use maximum 2 products at once, and that I rotate depending on my needs, the seasons, weather etc... I feel like if I use the right products, I don't have to put too much effort or energy in the hair maintenance process.

Feel free to ask questions on those products if you want to, or to share your own favourites!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!