March 10, 2010

Review: Hourglass Superficial Mascara


Last time I ordered from Zuneta, they put a mascara sample in my parcel. That was the Superficial Mascara by Hourglass.

For those of you who don't know (and I was one of those, too), Hourglass is a high end american brand created in 2004 by Carisa James, who used to work for Urban Decay and other famous brands. She wanted Hourglass to be "an uber-luxurious line from ingredients to performance to packaging". And stars such as Angelina Jolie are reported to use their products.

Well, that was convincing enough for me to try my freebie without furder ado.
Here's what we can expect from the product, according to Hourglass website:

Lash-defining and color-rich, Superficial Lash is a hydrating formula that coats lashes in weightless volume and sheen. Eyes are instantly highlighted as lashes visibly increase in volume, length, and height.
  • Enriched with Vitamin E to help seal in moisture and keep lashes soft and prevent breakage
  • Brush applicator enables clump-free and precision application

The product is available in Carbon (black) or Sepia (brown), and I got the black one.

So, what do I have to say about that?
  • lash-defining: true
  • color-rich: true
  • hydrating, keeps the lashes soft and weightless: true
  • clump -free application: totally true
  • increases volume, length and height ... ah, I wish, but volume is missing a bit for me, especially compared to my beloved YSL Faux-Cils.
Other than that, great product, dark classy packaging, no smell at all. It does a great job and make lashes stand out, but since it separates them so well, you really have to wiggle the brush at the roots to get some intensity there, and it doesn't give crazy volume.

Will I purchase? Well Zuneta sells this mascara for 19£ + shipping, which puts it at the same level of YSL that I can buy at the corner of the street. So, probably not. But if you can get your hands on this at your local Sephora (US only), I'd say it's a good one to try. I'll be using up my sample, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Guess what! I just re-bought the YSL Faux Cils Effect. I can not just stand the fact it is not working for me. Maybe this time it will be better :p

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!