June 21, 2010

Review: L'Oreal Youth Code Serum


A couple of months ago, I got samples of the infamous Lancôme Génifique. You know, that $78 - €75 miracle serum that claims to bring back youth by working on your skin cells' DNA? No need to tell you I don't buy that pseudo-scientific crap, but since I had received samples I thought I'd give them a try.
Now, I don't know if it was a coincidence, but I used them for a week and from the first day, my skin was perfection: clear, baby soft, plump. You know how addicted I am to foundations, well on that week I went to work with only powder on my face because I felt guilty about hiding my skin.

Long story short, the samples got used up and I considered getting a bottle of Génifique, but was (and still am) hesitant because of the price tag.

So I asked the members of a skincare forum if they had recommendations for a cheaper serum that would work as well, and several replies told me to try L'Oreal Youth Code. Since L'Oreal owns Lancôme and both products claim to work the same way, I thought it made sense. So I got it, paid € 14 (16 minus a coupon) and got all excited to try it.

Well, what a disappointment! First of all, this has a gel-cream consistency, which I find utterly weird for a serum. When applied, it gives an instant mattifying effect, and leaves the skin smooth but also feeling very siliconey.

When it comes to its effect: nada. Zero, nothing. Total waste of time and money.
Even worse: if I put it on in the morning, the matte canvas would turn into a grease mess after a couple of hours.

I have checked online reviews (which I should have done before buying, obviously) and found nothing but experiences similar to mine.
So, ladies, save yourself some money and just don't get that stuff.

13 comments:

  1. thanx for the warning :) definately wont be buying it ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for letting us in the USA know because its set to launch here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about Youth Code and whether or not it was like Genifique. I thought it would be a cheaper alternative, but was hesitant to spend money on something that might end up as a dust catcher on my shelf. Thanks for saving me money before buying a non-working "money-saving" alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The image above is of the Youth Code Concentrate. It's a different product. The newer Youth Code Serum (with Genifique style dropper) is probably a closer texture and match to the Genefique serum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anon: mmh, not sure, the one on the picture is the one I tried and the only one we have here ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought the Loreal Youth Code Serum which does not look anything like the picture above, and sounds nothing like your description either. I would describe it much more like you described the Lancome product. Maybe they changed it? Or maybe the product they market in the US is just different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anon: well I guess L'Oreal launched different products in EU and US markets then, but I confirm the one I tried is the one on the picture and really didn't live up to my expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one you used is entirely different to the new Youth Code serum. It comes in a bottle with a dropper and the texture is liquid. It's on offer in Boots for £16.95 at the moment. I've tried it and it's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anon: please keep in mind this is a review from June 2010 for the product that was available on my market at the time, which is the one illustrated. I have not tried the new serum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased the Serum Intense (it is in a pump) and Day/Night cream. They are absolutely AWFUL!! I tried them for a week and they actually intensified my wrinkles. By alot. It was so strange. I stopped using and went back to my regular moisturizer and the wrinkles that became so pronounced disappeared. I am tossing this junk out.!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought a 78 dollar botttle of Genifique when it came out. Used it almost every day AND night. Never saw any miracle change in my skin. Yes it was soft but big deal. I couldn't see any major change in making it look younger or brighter or tone being evened. I was 55 when I bought it. Maybe I'm too old for it. But I never bought it again. You can do just as well with lower priced products for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have started using Youth Code serum and literally from the first use my skin feels great, I have sensitive skin with blemishes and scars and my skin felt instantly calmed and the irritation disappeared, my scars softened up and started healing instantly and dark spots are starting to fade too - and all this after only 3 days of using it so I am VERY HAPPY with results!
    I think it is a different product to the one initially described here and as we all know it may not have the same results on everyone but it works for me and it is not too expensive to try

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!