June 10, 2010

Skincare life saver: Avène Cleanance K Oil control lotion

When I used this product for the first time, 2 years ago, I got it all wrong.

I must have been mislead by the name, "oil control lotion", so I slapped this on generously on my t-zone and within a few days, my skin was as dry as the desert but also red and irritated. Mind you, with AHA and BHA in it (both hydroxy acids types used for chemical exfoliation), this is serious stuff that needs to be used wisely!

But I have learned my lesson since then and now that I know how to make this work for me, I absolutely love this product!

The product benefits, as described by Avène, are:
  • PH of 3.5 for maximum exfoliation without irritation
  • Helps minimize oil and purifies the skin
  • Oil-absorbing micro-capsules provide a matte finish
  • Creates thinner, smoother upper layer of skin and improves elasticity of the skin
  • Avène thermal spring water to soothe and soften skin
  • Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
Apply PM after thoroughly cleansing with Cleanance Soap-free gel cleanser. If bothersome tingling occurs, reduce frequency of application accordingly.



How and why I use it:
What this doesn't tell you is that reactions to AHA and BHA are quite common, so unless your skin is crazy oily, I wouldn't recommend putting this on your skin everyday.
What I do now is put it around the nose where I have pores and impurities issues, but also on blemishes.

And this is where the product performs its miracle: be it on cystic pimples (you know, the ones that don't have a white head, hurt like crazy and stay there for days) or on smaller whiteheads, this is really effective! I put it on at night and wake-up practically spot-free the next morning. This requires patting the tiniest amount on the blemishes only, as the lotion would be too drying for the skin around them.

It's also a great product when you have been a bad girl and have picked at a pimple until it turned into a giant mess: put ice on it to soothe it, then apply a bit of the lotion. Yes, it will tingle, but things will be much better the next day.

If you have very oily, acne prone skin, and want to use it on larger areas, you can. Just make sure you use both moisturizer and sunscreen at daytime, since your skin will be more sensitive and dry because of the treatment. And if any side effects occur (irritation, dryness, excessive tingling), reduce your frequency of application (some people can't handle this more than once every 3 days).

Finally, the ultimate benefit is that it's an affordable product. You get 40ml/1.35oz for about 19USD (or about 10€ in Europe), and that will last you for a long time!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds very similar to La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo lotion I'm using currently, I'll post a review of it soon(ish)! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find this to buy in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Rocaille: I love LRP as well!

    @ Amy: I am not in the US, it's sold in pharmacies here. But you can get it from drugstore.com or on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used it once, it makes my white head even worse...it is like all irritated, got a big breakout...why?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!