I already mentioned the Bobbi Brown creamy concealer as my holy grail product for hiding dark undereye circles, and the last couple of months I've been exploring the range a bit more in depth.
I had stayed away from it before because in my mind, Bobbi Brown meant neutral hence boring. Using some of the their eyeshadows helped me forming a different opinion, as well as viewing the videos on the Pretty Powerful website. Bobbi Brown is about looking like yourself but better. No brigh colors, no excentric shapes - only pretty polished looks that are perfect for everyday, for work, and even for date nights with a bit of added drama.
So I've been investigating the particularities of the Bobbi Brown technique, which I knew were a bit different from what others makeup artists do. Here are the basics I learned:
- Start with corrector and/or corrector to hide any flaw, then use a foundation - one that will still let your skin see through, but if you really need a lot of coverage you can apply with a brush (otherwise, sponge or fingers work best) and layer.
- Powder where you used concealer, to set it, and if necessary do the whole T-zone.
- Use a neutral blush right on the cheeks and blend it towards hairline and down to give depth to the face, then add a brighter blush on the apples of the cheeks.
- Wear a lipstick shade close to your own lips tone, similar or slightly darker. For more sophistication, use lipliner first.
- Fill in your brows, brows frame your eyes and face and you should never neglect them.
- Eyeshadows: Bobbi Brown has a particular way of using them:no lid/crease/browbone schema here.
- First, apply a color similar to your skintone to the whole lid, up to the browbone. Then, apply a middle-toned eyeshadow on the lid, up to the crease, and blend lightly up to right above the crease. Finally, use a darker eyeshadow to line the upper lashline. If you want a more intense liner, use the eyeshadow wet or a gel liner instead to add some drama. You can also replace the powder eyeshadows by a long-wear cream one.
- Curl your lashes if you want to, then, apply a lot of black mascara.
I followed the recipe, and voilà:
What I used:
Estee Lauder Tinted Moisturizer in 01 Light
Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Ivory
Diorskin Nude Fresh Glow mineral foundation in 30 Medium Beige
Illamasqua blush in Excite, and Mac Marine Life on the apples of the cheek
Illamasqua brow powder in Motto
Bobbi Brown long wear cream eyeshadow in Galaxy
Bobbi Brown ink gel liner in Sepia
YSL Singulier mascara in black
The BodyShop Vitamin E face mist sprayed to set the makeup
On the lips (not shown on pics): Guerlain KissKiss Baby in Rosewood Nude.
I do love intense eyes, but I also loved how fresh this looked and I'll definitely be sporting this face again!