August 14, 2010

One FOTD, and what I've learned from beauty blogging!


Yesterday, my fellow beauty blogger Lipglossiping wrote a funny but oh-so-true post about what she's learned from beauty blogging.

I must say everything she wrote totally applies to me, but it made me think about what I learned and I thought I would share.

A lot of very smart women love makeup - old clichés will tell you that interest for beauty and brains never walk hand in hand, and I have to disagree. I have met very good friends through beauty blogging, and they do have it all, getting Ph.D's and Engineering degrees with lipgloss and eyeliner on.

Taupe is a color, wait - it's a lot of colors - I think I had used the word "Taupe" twice in my life to describe a color, and I had no idea Taupe could be brownish, greyish, purple-ish, light, dark... Actually I think I just learned a lot about colors in general.

Makeup is a universal language - I watch YouTube videos in English, French, Italian, Dutch, and sometimes German (that I don't really speak). I read blogs in Spanish or Norwegian although I don't speak these languages a lot. Pictures are obvious and Google Translate does the rest of the job.

I have good skin - compared to a lot of people, I really can't complain - yet I find lots of flaws in it, and make sure I get lots of products to get rid of them! At least I've learned about proper skincare, and what things like AHA or Retinoids are about.

When using self-tan, you need less products an more blending - after years of orange streaks, I can finally look good with a fake tan on!

Beauty comes from confidence more than from the actual products - two years ago, my makeup fit in a pouch and I didn't really know how to apply it properly. One million products later, I feel perfectly confident going out without makeup on, not because of all the products, but because learning how to use them properly and knowing what I look like with them on made me discover my own features. And I know they're still visible when I am bare faced.

When a movie is bad, there's always the makeup you can look at - self-explainatory I guess :)


Now onto a quick and dirty FOTD picture that I took in my car with my phone. The theme for that day was obviously the color orange (excepted for my rain jacket, I suppose).



I am wearing:
Mac Coral Crepe Paintpot (lid)
Mac Coppering (crease)
Shiseido hydropowder cream shadow in H9
Illamasqua Lover blush
Mac CB96 (Frost) lipstick, which I think is really gorgeous

What did you learn thanks to beauty blogs?

NB: BritishBeautyBlogger posted about what Makeup Brands didn't know before blogs, it's a very interesting post, too!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I agree with you even on the movies *lol* I can see on pictures from the way the make-up is done how old they are.
    And I would like to stress out once again that you can have a hobby that is rather easygoing like beauty without beeing stupid! I blog for 5 years now and I do my Ph.D also. The fact that I could follow one topic for such along time gives me the strength to even dare to combat such a big project like making a Ph.D.
    And being in information science with men only I will not reduce my perfume or my lipstick.
    And honestly - it is only about being qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Beauty comes from confidence more than from the actual products - two years ago, my makeup fit in a pouch and I didn't really know how to apply it properly. One million products later, I feel perfectly confident going out without makeup on, not because of all the products, but because learning how to use them properly and knowing what I look like with them on made me discover my own features. And I know they're still visible when I am bare faced."

    I love that comment :)

    I have one question to you though, where are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jay: A few thousands km south of you, on good'ol continental Europe, not south enough to avoid the snow though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought maybe you were English, but my best guess is French then :) Am half English myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jay : Actually I'm half Belgian, and the other half is part Italian, part Croatian. My name is italian, that always surprise people since I don't look at all like the typical Itlian girl. I'm often asked if I'm married to an Italian and wearing his name :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool mix! Are you based in Belgium then, or perhaps north of Italy? Seeing how you're a few thousand km south of me, but not far enough south to avvoid the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jay: Belgium and not too far ofr the northern French border (great for Sephora trips) - unfortunately not in Italy then, although I like it there for vacations but ain't sure I'd like to live there all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you! I live way too far from any Sephora stores myself... I do have a mac store close by, but I would have loved to have a sephora one closer too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!