September 13, 2010

Review: Makeup For Ever Aquacreams



I mentioned these in my August favorites, but they deserve a proper review.

What are they? The Aquacreams are cream shadows that were created for the French Nautical Ballet with the aim of being as waterproof as any shadow will ever be. Some of them are matte, some are iridescent.
They can all be used on eyes, lips and face, but for "normal" use, the colors are obviously more adapted for using on certain areas than others!

EDIT: Not all of the creams are multi purpose. The MUFE website says that shades 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 are only suitable for Lips & Cheeks - http://www.makeupforever.com/

How do they compare to other cream shadows? I have used Mac Paintpots and Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows; the MUFE Aquacreams are definitely waterproof unlike the 2 other products.
However, like any waterproof product, they are easily removed by oil, which means that if your lids are oily, they will crease. You can easily solve that by using a primer underneath.

The color pay-off is great, as you can see on the swatches, and the product can be build up for more intensity. There are 24 Aquacreams available, which offer a wider variety of shades than competitors do.



Being waterproof, the Aquacreams do set very quickly, which means you have to work really fast because they are impossible to blend after a dozen of seconds. I find that using your fingers in a patting motion is the best way to work fast and get an even result.

Pricing: although the jars look small, they contain 6g/0.21 oz. while Mac paintpots only contain 5g. However, there is a price gap, with Mac paintpots retailing for $16.50 and aquacreams for $22. Benefit creaseless creams retail at 19$, which is also cheaper, but only contain 0.16 oz.

Do I recommend them? Yes, particularly if you leave under a hot/humid climate, if you want to wear makeup to the beach or if you're looking for a wide variety of colors suitable for multiple uses.
However, considering the price tag and the fact they're a bit harder to work with, if you are only looking for neutral shades for everyday wear in normal weather conditions, the Mac Paintpots or Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows might be easier to apply and are cheaper per jar.
Nevertheless, Aquacreams are an excellent product and I have enjoyed them all Summer. I'm pretty sure I'll like them as much in the Winter when the wind blows and my eyes water :)

Have you tried them? Did you like them or not?

5 comments:

  1. I love these. I only have one but intend to get more. I swatched it @ Sephora and walked around all day with the swatch. It wouldn't rub off. I was sold after that. Great review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review !

    Just one detail about the build up thing : if you apply a lot of them, they will flake during the day, I experienced it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ansa: thanks! they're really smudgeproof indeed!

    @ Suricate: welcome! I never layered more than 2 applications, but very thin ones, but I see how they could flake, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so disappointed in the Benefit creams, they have almost no pigmentation, these sound so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ legothique: I only have the famous Skinny Jeans, which I like for soft looks. But I agree that they're not the most pigmented on the market.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!