October 7, 2010

Foundation Review #21: Mac Pro Longwear



I haven't reviewed a foundation in a long while, (well, a long while for me at least) and what would be a best occasion to get back on track than the launch of a new Mac Foundation? (Courtesy of a friend who gave it to me as a gift -thanks-)

What Mac says about Pro Longwear:
In the world of Pro Longwear, Foundation and Concealer carry the show with creamy, medium buildable coverage right through to a flawless, natural finish. Marathon makeup to go, made from micronized pigments to promote the smoothest application and colour purity.
How I would describe it:
Pro Longwear is an aqua based, oil free foundation - which doesn't mean it's silicone free nonetheless. I would describe the consistency as a more liquidy version of Studio Sculpt, hence easier to spread although still slightly gel-like and thick, which doesn't make it the easiest to work with.
I would definitely not describe the coverage as medium, on me it goes on quite sheer and the slight redness on my cheeks definitely shows through one layer of this foundation.
The product sets quickly, so you have to apply fast and area by area, and it sets quite matte.

The Pros:
  • comes in a bottle with a pump, which is hygienic
  • SPF 10, which isn't enough but is better than nothing
  • oil-free and aqua based, which means it's perfect for you if you have oily skin
  • Sheer buildable coverage, which is nice if you want something long lasting but don't need a lot of coverage, as most products in this category are high coverage
  • High pigment concentration is obvious
The Cons:
  • not the easiest to apply in my opinion, you will need a primer underneath to help it go smoothly
  • thick consistency and matte setting, if you have fry skin, avoid at all costs or you will look flakey and possibly cakey
  • sheer coverage... you will need concealer! or you'll need several layers of product, which takes time and work
  • has been reported to oxidize, but I haven't noticed anything - I generally don't have this issue, though
How I make this work for me:
Mixed with an illuminating fluid or primer as it also breaks the matte finish a bit. I apply with fingers so I can work quickly.

How does it compare to Clarins Everlasting?
You know I've been using this one for several months, so I definitely compared both, using them alternatively on my longest days.
I would say that the Clarins is definitely easier to apply since it's more creamy, and it also gives medium to full coverage - but it does look less natural of course and feels more siliconey. The finish is also more satiny.
In terms of longevity, if I don't use a primer underneath (which I usually don't), I find Clarins performs better after the 7-8 hours mark, while Pro Longwear will start disappearing around my nose area.
Clarins Everlasting does contain alcohol, which can be drying, while Pro Longwear doesn't.

Who should get what?
If you don't need much coverage and are oily, get Pro Longwear, definitely, and use on top of an oil control primer.
However if you want a higher coverage without having to build up, you might prefer Clarins Everlasting but you'd have to get along with the alcohol in it, and use powder if you want a totally matte finish.
If you have dry skin, though, avoid Pro Longwear as it wouldn't look the best on your skin.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh! Thank you for trying out this foundation! It'd be so tempting to try, if only it didn't have SPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I was so tempted to get this when it came out but I'm so anti-foundation at the moment. Will probably give in and try it out though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review, this is definitely on my list as I have oily skin. I tried the concealer last month when I was at the airport and it's amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!