October 15, 2010

Review: Le Blanc de Chanel



After having read a lot of good things about this product and having gone through an awful day at work, I recently indulged into some retail therapy and got the famous Blanc de Chanel.


What it is: a "sheer illumating base", in Chanel's own words. You can apply it directly in your face to use it as a primer, mix it with your foundation to make it paler or more illuminating, or you can pat it on top of foundation to use it as a highlighter. It's really a multi-purpose product.


The Pro's:

  • A very nice glass bottle, which is typical of all Chanel liquid makeup products, that comes with a spatula so you can take the right amount. Maybe a pump would have been easier to use but I tend to think that if they didn't put one, there must be a reason - and the product is a bit thicker than a liquid foundation.
  • A delicious rose smell, I think it's the same one there was in the Hydramax moisturizer I used to use quite a few years ago.
  • It applies beautifully and it keeps its promises: it makes your foundation last all day and gives a perfect glow to the face. I actually found it more natural than Mac Strobe Cream, which can be too shimmery and even look a bit greasy. Le Blanc was just perfect.
The Con's:
  • It's Chanel, so it's pricy, I paid 33€ for it.
  • The ingredients list, here we go:

Ingredients: aqua, ethylhexyl palmitate, talc, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclopentasiloxane, silica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel extract) water, propylene glycol, glycerin, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, aluminium hydroxide, butylene glycol, alcohol, phenoxyethanol, tribehenin, silica dimethyl silyate, methylparaben, disteardimonium hectorite, propylparaben, fragrance, BHT, laminaria digitata extract, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, disodium stearoyl glutamate, citric acid, sodium hyaluronate, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, denatonium benzoate, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), mica.
So here ends my love story with this product, as I had an allergic reaction to it the few times I wore it. There are actually several things in there that can cause allergies: talc, silica, witch hazel extract, mica... Plus, if you're sensitive to alcohol or fragrances, this might not work for you either.
It made my skin very itchy and my forehead broke out, and these are the 2 typical reactions I experience if I am allergic to a beauty product.


Is it worth buying?
Definitely, if you're not allergy prone or sensitive to one of the ingredients. Maybe try to get a sample and use it for a few days before buying, in order to check if you skin doesn't disagree, since it's an expensive item. I'm pretty sad I can't keep on using it.

5 comments:

  1. great post. i own le blanc de chanel also and i just used it as a base. î never knew what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. I have this product, I'll re-try it again !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I tried it this morning as a base under my foudation : I saw no difference (but luckily I did'nt got an allergy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I din't know this product until now. I like it (not prize!), and I think I'll buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw this one at Chanel's counter when I got Perfection Lumiere, I felt like buying it but wasn't sure... I think I will give it a try. Thanks for the review and what a shame it made you an allergic reaction

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!