January 13, 2011

Foundation review #24 : Face Atelier Ultra Foundation

I haven't reviewed a foundation in 2 months, can you believe that? Anyways, I don't think I'll be reviewing as many in 2011 as in the past year (12 of them, that's how addicted I am).

I actually was very reasonable when I decided I wanted to try this one: I ordered samples and not a full bottle. 
The shade #1, Porcelain, being pink toned, I ordered #2 Ivory and #3 Wheat.
Turns out that none of them is a true match, as Wheat is definitely too dark and Ivory, while being the right intensity, is actually too golden for my liking. But well, I decided to try it anyway as I know Face Atelier also sells a white foundation to mix and custom make your own color, and had this been the most perfect foundation ever, I could have used it that way.
Well, that's not gonna happen.

I would describe this product as something in-between Mac Face&Body (which is very sheer) and Nars Sheer Glow (which leans more towards medium coverage). It gives more coverage than F&B but still lets skin show through. The finish is extremely dewy, I found powder was a must, at least on the T-zone or you'd really look too shiny.
The feeling isn't completely lightweight, you do feel it's there when you touch your face, but as a plus I can say it doesn't transfer.

I was feeling this was not perfect but nice, maybe along the lines of Giorgio Armani Luminous. Unfortunately, I didn't find the product was very stable on my skin. Even though I had powdered, 6 hours after application I looked like a grease mess and like the foundation was sitting on top of my skin and was about to slide off. Not natural and not pretty at all. I found I looked as if I had applied a cheap version of Chanel Pro Lumiere and worn it for 12 hours straight.

In short: no perfect match, not long wearing, not very flattering on me. I'm not going to spend 33£ on this. Too bad, I was hoping it would be a great pro product to own.

Your mileage may vary, though, and this was just me. If you fancy trying Face Atelier, samples are available from WhiteRabbit (as the product is certified cruelty free) in the US and from Coco Beau in the UK/EU.

2 comments:

  1. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    I was seriously considering this, so thank you for talking me out of it!

    I hear that Nyx Pale foundation is supposed to be the same sort of shade as Illamasqua 105 (me) and NARS Sheer liquid in Siberia and Cover FX also are supposed to have a very pale shade, although Siberia looks very yellow from swatches.

    I love my Estée Lauder Doublewear to death but it's too dark, and I've run out, so am debating trying more crap formulas in an attempt to get a real shade match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this foundation in the white shade (Zero Minus) and adore it- I can't really wear any readily available foundations without lightening them, and I love the consistency of the Face foundation & how it's able to lighten without diluting the coverage. I also like the fact that mixed with a more matte foundation, it imparts some of it's dewiness.

    I have tried many samples of the skin-tone shades, and I do agree that the finish is very dewy, but for those with dry skin, it's wonderful. Most foundations that say they're dewy still look matte on me, so I was thrilled that this still looked like my actual skin and not a kabuki mask.

    The only thing that has kept me from ordering the regular foundation (even though I'd still have to mix the white in) is the fact that it's not quite enough coverage. Just some food for though for your very dry skinned readers!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!