January 6, 2011

Trying a new skincare routine: Vichy Aqualia Antiox

I know, I know, I should stick to what works, especially as I have rather good skin. But how could I resist the promise of a miracle, the perspective of an even better skin?

I'm sure you all heard how Vitamin C is supposed to improve skin brightness and texture and make you look youthful as if you were eating your 5 portions of fresh fruit and veggies every day all year long. So I decided this dull Winter was the perfect reason to give Vitamin C a try. This, and a new product by Vichy called Aqualia Antiox.


This new serum is a bit of a do-it-yourself. Pure Vitamin C powder is provided separately in a little bag, and you have to put it yourself in the serum bottle and shake well. You then obtain a serum containing 10% pure Vitamin C. (It's milky and doesn't smell very good, but that's ok as long as it works).
This serum will need to be kept in the fridge, as there are no preservatives in it and Vitamin C isn't the most stable ingredients on earth. And even kept refrigerated, the product will only be good to use for 21 days, which is the time you need to get a "new skin" in Vichy's words.
To be exact, the promise is:
Clinically proven: smoother skin in 21 days, reduced fine lines, skin regains a luminous, natural glow.
You need to use this serum only once a day and then follow with your normal skincare routine.
This little miracle in a bottle isn't cheap: 34€ - 45$, so that's definitely not something you'll do all year long.

One product you can, however, use all year long, is the moisturizer from the same range.



At 20€-29$ for 40ml/1.4 fl.oz. this is a much more reasonable expense.
This contains Vitamin C and E and offers sun protection with an SPF 12 and UVA+++, which makes it perfect for a daytime moisturizer.
What you should expect, according to Vichy: 
Clinically proven results after 2 weeks of use: Smoother skin, more luminous skin, more even complexion. 

I used both products for the first time yesterday night. Bad plan I must say: the moisturizer isn't rich enough for night time and wearing SPF during the night is kind of pointless. That's probably why Vichy say on their webiste that you should use it in the morning. So from now on I'll be using the serum at night and the moisturizer under my makeup.

I took "before" pictures and will be back in 21 days to tell you what I thought of these products and their effects.

In the meantime, for the science geeks among you, here are the ingredients lists for both products:

SERUM:

Powder phase:
• ASCORBIC ACID Vitamin C : 11% • SODIUM CITRATE • DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE

Serum phase:
• AQUA • DIMETHICONE• GLYCERIN • PROPANEDIOL• DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE• ALCOHOL DENAT. • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE• DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER• PEG-100 STEARATE • GLYCERYL STEARATE• CETYL ALCOHOL • DIMETHICONOL• NEOHESPERIDIN DIHYDROCHALCONE (Citrus polyphenolTM) • METHYLSILANOL/SILICATE CROSSPOLYMER • TOCOPHEROL (Vitamin E) • AMMONIUM POLYACRYLDIMETHYLTAURAMIDE / AMMONIUM POLYACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE • DISODIUM EDTA • ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE• CAPRYLOYL SALICYLIC ACID • XANTHAN GUM• ALLYL METHACRYLATES CROSSPOLYMER

MOISTURIZER:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS PURPOSE
AVOBENZONE 3% : SUNSCREEN
OCTISALATE 5% : SUNSCREEN
OCTOCRYLENE 5% : SUNSCREEN
INACTIVE INGREDIENTS
• WATER • GLYCERIN• DIMETHICONE• ALCOHOL DENAT.• PROPANEDIOL• BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER (SHEA BUTTER)• HEXYLDECANOL• HEXYLDECYL LAURATE• SUCROSE STEARATE• SILICA• PROPYLENE GLYCOL• POLY C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE• RED 4, TITANIUM DIOXIDE• STEARIC ACID• MICA• GLYCOLIC ACID• TRIETHANOLAMINE• DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER• DIMETHICONOL, TRIETHYL CITRATE• NEOHESPERIDIN DIHYDROCHALCONE• SODIUM POLYACRYLATE• PHENOXYETHANOL• IRON OXIDES• ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE• TOCOPHEROL• DISODIUM EDTA• BORON NITRIDE• CAPRYLYL GLYCOL• SYNTHETIC WAX• XANTHAN GUM• ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER• ACRYLATES/AMMONIUM METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER• FRAGRANCE

4 comments:

  1. This is very interesting !
    I'm looking forward to seeing the results !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good moisturizer: i have used several samples lately and I am quite satisified. Mind you, this cream is nothing extraordinary, but it does its job in moisturizing.
    I have combo skin and, as it's winter here now, I use a serum underneath, then moisturizer, then sunscreen , then foundation, powder, bronzer you name it(!), hence my moisturizer must not be too heavy.
    Vicky does the trick! It's a pinkish/orangeish cream (I agree the colour is weird), with a light texture; spreads evenly, gets absorbed rapidly into skin.
    I like that it is packed w/ antioxidants and contains Vit C... I have read that this should be used in conjunction with the Vit C serum (of the same line) that you make "fresh" from a powder and u need to store in the fridge, but I have not tried this one yet.
    All in all, a good product with a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a full size teaster(unopen) from CVS yesterday because they did not have any samples on hand! I used this for the first time this morning and so far it feels pretty good. Really like the texture and light sheen(but yet not oily looking). I also used the new Antiox Vit.C serum this morning too. I will be reviewing this in a few days. I have normal skin with the t-zone in mid day. no big deal. No wrinkles, but do have some sun spots. Wait and see. Will be updating in a few days.
    Okay, I been using this every day know for about a week and I have to say that I'm loving the way my skin is looking! It's a lot smoother, pores are smaller and even my dark circles are lighter! That's a big plus in my book! I'm hoping I'm not jinxing myself now by posting this. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the serum, I have been eying this one but the whole keeping it in the fridge thing means I am sure to forget to use it! ;-)

    Best, Lisamarie

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!