February 7, 2011

Review: Becca The Ultimate Mascara



While Zuneta was having sales, I decided to grab the Smokey Eye kit Becca had launched for the Holidays. I had been tempted by it but I didn't really need any of the products it contained so I had passed. But well, on sales I found the price more affordable and decided it would be an opportunity to try more Becca products, which I had been looking forward to doing.


First product in the kit is the Ultimate Mascara. What I didn't know when ordering, is that this is a tubing mascara.
Here's some explanation, as well as the claims Becca makes for this product:



This advanced, water-resistant, micro-tubing mascara formula lengthens and thickens the lashes while a conical shaped brush curls, lifts and separates in one easy coat. Contains anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals to strengthen lashes and reduce lash loss.
Forms binding "tubes" around the lashes, enabling fast drying, long lasting wear and ease of removal
Mascara "tubes" slide off of lashes upon removal with water and light pressure from your fingertips, a washcloth, or shower pressure; no need for makeup remover or rubbing under-eye area to remove mascara residue
Will not run, smudge, flake, clump, melt or drip
Adds volume and lengthens with a superior curling and lifting effect
Water resistant formula repels water, sweat and tears
Imparts shiny, natural looking lashes
Conical shaped brush coats evenly for a natural effect
High transparency pigments create shinier, more natural-looking lashes

PROS:

  • the tubing system doesn't affect the way you apply mascara, I didn't notice anything since I was unaware of this element until I read the description, after I had used it already
  • not difficult to remove (I used my usual LRP Micellar jelly) which is reported to be a problem with some tubing mascaras
  • as claimed, the look is very natural
  • I didn't have any issue with this flaking or smudging, but then I rarely do
CONS:
  • I find that when I apply this, it separates my lashes extremely well, and it's suddenly as if I had a million lashes. But that's it. It doesn't leghten a lot and it most certainly does not volumize them.
  • the black isn't that black
  • if I want my lashes to look good, I need to tightline to give my lashline some intensity before applying this mascara, and anyway I never get a very intense look; I don't really understand the choice of this particular mascara for a dark smokey eye kit, as lashes would need a lot of intensity with this kind of look.
MY OVERALL OPINION

If you are looking for a very natural mascara that will separate your lashes and coat them 
nicely without clumping, this is a good one for you. However, the $24 price mark is quite high for something so natural.

If, like me, you're used to very dark, long and thick lashes, this will not suit you as it's certainly not intense or dramatic. It's a nice mascara but for me, it's certainly not worth its price and it doesn't do what I expect.

Have you tried this mascara? What was your experience with it?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll pass on this one. I love drama when it comes to lashes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!