February 21, 2011

Review: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Concealer (SPF10)

You know how I swear by Bobbi Brown creamy concealer, which became my Holy Grail when I found it after trying what felt like a billion of useless concealers. Well I might have found something different but as good. 

I had the opportunity to buy a few products with a special discount and since one of my friends constantly raves about this concealer, I decided to get it.

How Lauder describes it:
For a flawless look with 15-hour staying power.
Conceals flaws and corrects the look of undereye circles, dark spots and discolorations.
Transfer-resistant, color-true formula provides medium to full coverage that won't slip, slide or melt away. Feels lightweight, comfortable.
Easy-to-use wand applicator.
How I use it:
I've been using it only on the under-eye area, patting with a finger so I don't spread the pigments too much. It does penetrate quickly and it doesn't look cakey.

  • This does conceal my undereye circles, for real. The finish is flawless.
  • The finish is semi-matte and you don't need to powder it. This product really doesn't move around at all, doesn't melt or transfer or crease - I was really amazed!
  • Does last all day on me
  • Very practical tube and format, great for travelling or for keeping in your bag for touch-ups (even though you probably won't need to touch up!)
  • SPF 10 can't hurt, excepted if you're being photographed
  • Although I like the wand applicator because it's easy to use, it's not always the best to get a precise amount of product.
  • Only 6 colors available means not everyone will find a perfect match. I was lucky the lightest one works perfectly for me. Also, some countries don't even carry all the shades.
The tube contains 7ml and retails for USD 20, €23.50 (wrong conversion rate strikes again).
That doesn't make it cheaper than the Bobbi Brown concealer for me, but at least it's more widely available.

cyclopentasiloxane, water, titanium dioxide, trimethylsiloxysilicate, butylene glycol, sorbitan sesquioleate, peg/ppg - 18/18 dimethicone, tribehenin, magnesium sulfate, phenyl thrimethicone, tocopheryl acetate, sodium hyaluronate, ethylhexyl-glycerin, dimethicone, methicon, laureth-7, glycerin, xantham gum, alumina, sorbic acid, phenoxyethanol, chlorphenesin (may contain iron oxides, titanium dioxide, mica)

All in all an excellent product that really impressed me - have been using it non stop since I got it several weeks ago.


  1. oh u have NO idea how much I NEEDED to read this review! I just wrote a review about the bobbi brown concealer and it ain't a good one..

    Ima check this out for sure.. I need something that covers without creasing!!

    Thanks sooo much

  2. I really liked the older version of this- I'm not sure if they changed the formula along with the package, but I'm glad to hear it still seems to have many of the same properties. I used it almost exclusively for redness & imperfections, so I can vouch that it works just as well for that.

    I will caution those with blemish prone skin- this stuff- like the Double Wear foundation, really bonds to the skin, so make sure you cleanse VERY well when you remove this- I'd actually recommend using a makeup remover before your regular facial cleanser to make sure everything gets removed.

  3. @ Delyteful: on me it doesn't crease at all, that's for sure!

    @ Jess: thanks for the info! Since I use Bioderma Crealine H2O and then cleanser, I don't think that's any problem - but you're right, it does feel like it bonds to the skin!


I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!