March 16, 2011

Review: Avene Eluage Firming Gel



Yesterday I told you about my favorite anti-wrinkle eye cream. What I didn't tell you is that now, I sometimes combine it with another product.
What has been proven to be the most effective against wrinkle? Retinol and all its cousins (retinoids, retinaldehydes etc...) for in-depth action and Hyaluronic Acid for its "plumping" properties. So when it comes to crow's feet or any other soon-to-be-deep wrinkles on the face (think around the nose, on the forehead...), a combination of those 2 can really help. And that's what I found in Avene Eluage Firming Gel. I also need to tell you that Avene has the highest non-Rx retinaldehyd concentration on the US market.

What the brand says:
Targeted firming gel formulated with a patented combination of Retinaldehyde and exclusive Hyaluronic Acid Fragments (HAF) visibly reduces the appearance of deep lines and wrinkles around the corner of the eyes, nose and lower cheek.
For all skin types, especially mature skin with deep visible lines and wrinkles.
Benefits:
  • Increases skin firmness and thickness with higher concentration of Hyaluronic Acid Fragments (HAF).
  • Resin based gel fills in lines and wrinkles. To be used on targeted areas such as crow's feet, nasal labial folds and marionette lines.
  • Contains Avene Thermal Spring Water to soothe and soften skin.
  • Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic.
My own experience:
The product is actually not really a gel, it looks more like a peachy colored cream but with a very light texture. It doesn't really have any smell and it melts into the skin quite fast.
This gel is meant to be patted on problem areas on top of your moisturizer, that means you can pat it on top of your eye cream - which is what I do. I also use it around my mouth and nose so I know how effective it is on an area where I'm not using any other treatment.
You'll need to give it a few weeks to see an improvement, but given the high quality ingredients in it, you will notice a difference. Again, I know quite a few women who started using it and were thrilled by the result.

Do I recommend?
Obviously, not a cheap product : €30/USD46. But a tube goes a long way and I'd rather spend €30 on something that I know does work than €10 in a drugstore product that will leave me unsatisfied. There are also much more expensive alternatives that can't claim the same results.

What if I can't afford this one AND the LRP one for my eyes area?
Then I'd say get this one. Retinoids are proven to have a preventive effect on further development of wrinkles so I'd put my money on this one even though the other is an excellent product as well.

Ingredients:
Water (aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Ceteareth 20, Glycol Montanate, Cyclomethicone, Ceteareth 33, Sodium Hyaluronate, Acrylates Copolymer, BHT, Butylparaben, Carbomer, Fragrance (parfum), Phenoxyethanol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Propylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Triethanolamine.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh!!! I swear that it was just last night that I walked into Boots lookin for something for my fine lines and ended up gettin this.. And now as I am going thru some of my must-read blogs of the day (yes ure one of them ;) I see a postabout it..

    I just started using it so i have nothin to say abt it yet.. But I do hope it works..

    Thaaaanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this review, and for the comparison with the LRP, it's very interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eyecream...I have tons of them from different brands. Not sure if they all do what they claim to do but its a routine for me to always wear eye cream. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!