May 18, 2011

Review: Becca Resurfacing Primer


You know I am obsessed  with hiding pores and you know I love Becca. Well, put two and two together and you’ll know why I decided to try their Resurfacing Primer.
This claims that it will help hiding pores and fine lines and mattify the skin, providing a smooth base for your makeup.

Actually when I ordered it, my attention wasn’t drawn to the mattifying aspect at all; I only noticed when I got the product home that it claimed to that. I kind of understand you would associate pores with oily skin (even though that’s not 100% accurate) but fine lines are more of a burden of dryer skins, and so I don’t really get why the same product should be refining and mattifying. 

Where the silk hydrating primer is so liquid that it keeps blobbing out of the tube every time I use it (Becca, please hear me and put a pump on that damn tube!), this one is a thick creamy texture and I was quite surprised by that difference even though it makes sense since you want it to fill holes, if I may say so. It comes in the same 50ml tube as all the other Becca primers, has a white-ish color and doesn’t really smell of anything. Totally non-offensive product. It’s also quite easy to apply and blend, but I’d recommend using your hands to spread it easily.

Ingredient list for the geeks:
Aqua (Water), Hydrogenated Didecene, Glycerin, PVP, Ricinus Communis Oil (Ricinus Communis [Castor] Seed Oil), Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis [Jojoba] Seed Oil), Boron Nitride, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Propylene Glycol Isostearate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Squalane, Glyceryl Isostearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Oleth-25, Ceteth-25, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Tropolone and may contain [+/-]: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77491).


But unfortunately, I must say this is the first Becca product that I don’t really like. Not that it’s really bad, but I don’t think it work for me. Here’s what I think:
  • Hide fine lines: I don't really have any, so I couldn't tell
  • Hide pores: hmm, not sure, actually, and that was my main reason for buying the product so that’s where most of my disappointment comes from. I can’t say it did nothing, but I really can’t say it did much at all. I think the siliconey products provided by Clinique or Clarins do a better job at visibly evening out the skin texture.
  • Provides a smooth base for makeup: this is true. It leaves your skin smooth and soft and makes base application quite easy.
  • Mattifying: again, here, I’m not sure. It’s not super moisturizing like the Hydrating primer is, of course, but I kind of felt it made me look a bit greasy by the end of the day. But I have to say that I did notice differences depending on what foundation I was using on top. I find that while the result was very pretty with DIorskin Nude, it wasn’t as nice with Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. How weird is it, that it toned down the dewiness of the most luminous of both foundations and made the less dewy one look greasy, I don’t know. I am thinking it has to do with the oils contained in the product.
  • Makes your makeup last longer: well this is true, I have had horribly long days while I was testing this and my makeup did stay on for a really long time. But again, I found that it worked not so well with some foundations as with others.
My overall impression: a miss for me. Maybe this product is trying to do too many things at the same time, I don’t know, but any way for me it failed doing what I really expected, which was making my problem areas look smoother. Again, I don’t think it is a bad product at all, but it’s one that doesn’t work for me and didn’t meet my expectations.

For that price (£32 - € 42 -USD 40) I could definitely have bought a product that was meant to hide pores only, but that would have done the job better, and would probably have been cheaper too. 

Becca has another product called Line and Pore corrector, which comes in a smaller tube (for about the same price) - did anyone try it? 

2 comments:

  1. Too bad it did not work as good as it was supposed to. Great review anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honest opinion. It helped me decide that I did not want this product as the very reason I was about to purchase it was to minimise pores! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!