August 8, 2011

30 makeup questions in 30 days: #1

1. When did you start putting on makeup?

I remember having been fascinated by my grandmother's powder puff, that laid on her vanity, at the early age of... well, as long as my memories can go. I would also ask my aunt to put her blush on my cheeks when she was doing hers in the living-room's daylight, before going to work.


So when I started Junior High at the age of 12, the makeup envy kicked hard, as I was seeing other girls at school wearing it. 
My mom was very wise on this one: she knew that if she forbid it, I'd probably put it on at school and remove it before coming back, like a lot of girls were doing. So she gave her ok, as long as she could supervise it. That prevented me from going to school with bright pink blush used as an eyeshadow up to the brows, I must say :)
(Hey, don't judge, it was the late 80's!)
I did some experimentation with products from the local drugstore back then, and looking back I really do think that wearing makeup at 12 is not the best idea, but well... 


For my 13th birthday, I got a Lancome Mascara in brown as a gift, and this plus a Bourjois rosewood blush were my daily makeup for quite a long time. I believe I added foundation when I was 15 or 16, not that I really had anything to hide, but foundation was all my mom was wearing on a daily basis and, for me, that was like something you had to have on if you were wearing makeup. I used a bit of liner from time to time, but mostly I didn't start putting stuff on my eyes (other than mascara) before I was 17-18.


Lipstick, on the other hand, I already liked a lot. I thought it was the essence of feminity, and started wearing it at the age of 15. I mostly wore "my lips but better" shades back then, I would buy Nina Ricci and Cacharel lipsticks with my birthday money, and would use them up as I was wearing them daily and would religiously reapply after lunch.


So that's my makeup story :) What about yours?

1 comment:

  1. My mom was the same way. She never forbade makeup and the result was that my sister and I never felt the need to wear a lot or try and make her mad. I played with it a lot at home, but for YEARS only wore eyeliner. To this day, if I leave the house without eyeliner or at the very least mascara, I feel like I look sad and tired. In college, my sister criticized my heavy black eyeliner, saying it looked goth. I've always worn it so that it looked mod. She's dumb. : O P

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!