October 4, 2011

Brow dilemmas and liquid highlighters


If there's one thing I could change in my face, that would be my brows. (OK, I can think of a couple of other things, but right now I'm obsessed with my brows).
They're sparse, they're light, they have barely survived years of butchering performed by so called beauticians (because I was scared I'd do something bad to them if I did them myself - I was young and clueless) and so they require a bit of work every morning.
 I have come to the realization that when it comes to filling them in, there is not one solution that will work for me all the time. Yes ladies: brows have a growth cycle. And depending where they stand in this cycle, I find that some products work better than others.
(Oh and of course, the cycle isn't identical on both side, so I usually have one nice looking brow and one crappy brow. Or two crappy ones. Never two good brows at the same time, that'd be too easy)



Until now I have always managed to make things work with either pencils (Mac or Clinique) or powder (Illamasqua) and a bit of clear brow gel (Essence). Excepted that, this past week, nothing is working for me. The pencil gives a better result than the powder but doesn't last well because that area of my skin gets oily through long days. The powder stays on but isn't working well at that stage of the cycle. So, what to do, what to do?


Well, like often, the solution was hiding in a drawer in my makeup stash.




Namely: Kanebo Kate Liquid Eyebrow Pen


Several Japanese brands offer that kind of product that they call "one day tattoo brow". They look like a pen, the product is liquid, the tip is very fine, and you just draw on little hairs where you need them. The good thing is, once it's set, it won't move until you use an industrial strength makeup remover.


And well, right now, that's what works best for me! And it stays on perfectly till the end of my day. And well, I think it looks natural, or at least not more unnatural than pencil or powder.


Of course, Murphy won't leave me alone: this product is now apparently discontinued. But I have already ordered a few similar pens from other Japanese brows, and hopefully I can find a good substitute - I'll keep you updated.








Other products featured in this pic include Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in B10, Nars Laguna Bronzer, Mac Dubonnet lipstick and also, on top of my cheeks, Becca Illuminate Wash.
Finally a liquid highlighter that isn't filled with glitter particles, that doesn't have a tint, that is easy to apply thanks to the little brush applicator and that looks good without being over the top. Much more wearable for a day look than the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfectors in my opinion, because, well, this Wash isn't shimmering!
You can get it from Zuneta but I was lucky to receive it as a gift with purchase when I ordered my Lost Week-End palette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!