October 24, 2011

Foundation Review #29: Chanel Perfection Lumiere




Yes, we all know I need more foundations like I need a hole in the head, but honestly, how could a foundation addict like myself resist the temptation of a new Chanel foundation?
Especially as I have now declared a Chanel foundation to be my Holy Grail, that is Vitalumière Aqua, I'm even more curious of any new product they would launch.

You also have to admit that the promotional image is absolutely stunning...



What the brand says:
"Long-wear flawless fluid makeup with SPF10 - Effortless to apply, with seamless blendability for a naturally flawless effect, this breakthrough foundation is the ideal all-day, everyday formula – suitable for all skin types in a diverse range of 20 shades."

A replacement for Pro Lumiere?Pro Lumiere, which I had reviewed here, was certainly one of the most loved foundations amongst makeup professionals. Chanel discontinued it to introduce Perfection Lumiere, which was rumored to be a replacement or an improvement for it, but I must warn you right now that this is not the case, both products being very different.

The Pro's
  • A very fluid, easy to apply formula that come in a glass bottle with a pump
  • A light but delicious fruity smell, that doesn't linger on for too long
  • A medium coverage in one layer, that can be build up to full
  • A nice satin finish - it's not dewy at all, it's not matte either, I actually find it still looks like skin even though it makes it more even thanks to the good pigmentation
  • Long lasting - I can easily get along with 8 hours of wear before feeling the need for a touch up
  • 20 shades in the range, divided into Beige Rose (pink undertones) and Beige (yellow undertones) just like the Vitalumiere Aqua range
The Con's
  • I don't get the SPF 10. It's not enough to protect you agains the sun on its own, and it might be a problem in flash photography - although Chanel foundations notoriously photograph well despite the SPF. I haven't tried this one with flash, though.
  • As usual, Chanel has picked a limited selection of shades for each country. Even though my country has Vitalumiere Aqua in B10, the lightest shade offer for Perfection Lumiere is B20, so I had to go with that even though it's a bit too dark and too beige. I can make it work but it upsets me that I didn't have more choice. Also, we only have one BR shade, that is 12, the lightest one. I think it's an extremely limited choice.
  • Even though it's good that this bottle has a pump, the glass is quite heavy and bulky.
The comparison with Vitalumiere Aqua, and some other foundations.
While VA has a thicker, kind of gel like texture, Perfection Lumiere is definitely liquidy. I guess that's the reason why it's in a bottle and not in a plastic packaging like VA.
In terms of finish, I find there are a lot of similarities, but of course Perfection Lumiere can look at bit more dry because of the high pigmentation, while VA is obviously more sheer, hence more natural.
I think I could summarize things by saying that one layer of Perfection Lumiere looks like 2 good layers of Vitalumière Aqua. I still prefer VA for everyday use, especially as I find that it lasts for a very long time on me as well, but on days where I have redness or blotchiness to hide, it goes faster to apply one quick layer of Perfection Lumiere and be done with it than to build up more coverage with VA.

If I compare Perfection Lumiere with another high coverage, long lasting foundation that is Clarins Everlasting, I'd say the Clarins one is thicker and more creamy, but it's more matte and more drying and looks less natural on the skin.

If I compare it with Dior Skin Nude, which is very long lasting on me as well, I'd say that Perfection Lumiere is much less luminous/dewy and has more coverage.



Chanel Perfection Lumiere isn't cheap: €43 - USD 55.00, but it's an excellent foundation for anybody looking for flawless skin, natural finish, medium to full coverage and long lasting result.

4 comments:

  1. You've got me curious about this! Vitalumiere Aqua doesn't really 'set' on me for some reason, and it doesn't give me much coverage at all.

    Perfection Lumiere might be the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had good luck finding a shade in Chanel foundation, but I did notice a sample bubble of this in 2 shades in one of my magazines. I know the shade won't be right, but at least I can try it for texture & coverage before driving to a store to check for a shade...that's worth something, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this in my life BUT the sound of the fruity smell :s uhoh.. pottential allergy????

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jen: then this might be what you waited for!

    @Jess: VA in B10 is definitely a mich better match for me but well, I can make this work. I'm exactly like you, I love trying foundation samples and since they're never the right color, I wear them at home during the week-end and blend on any visible skin!

    @Tali: ha, hard to say, I rarely have allergies... maybe get a sample to try it before committing?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!