November 30, 2011

How to: look polished when you're in a hurry.

A while ago I was talking with one of my good friends about how hard it can be to find time to put on makeup when you're a busy woman. She's a wife, a mommy of two, a full-time working director in a large company... but she loves makeup and she wants to be able to put on some before she hits the road in the morning.
I must say that even for my child-free self, this can be a problem sometimes too. When you have to leave the house at 6 in the morning for a far-away meeting where you need to look fresh, skipping makeup is not an option, but getting up even earlier to put it on doesn't sound too good either.


That's why I developped fast makeup strategies, that I shared with my friend and am now going to share with you.


Rule #1 : Base can be quickly done.
I love spending lots of time on my base but if I'm in a hurry, I want to be able to take care of it in less than 5 minutes. What you need to do is use as little as you can. Use a long lasting-concealer where needed and a lot of times, that's really all you'll need. Add a tinted moisturizer if you want, as this will kill 2 birds with one stone, evening out complexion and moisturizing your skin. If you really need foundation, applying with hands will be faster than using tools.


Rule #2 : Eyes don't require a lot of work.
My friend loves spending a lot of times on her eyes creating complex looks, but clearly in this situation, it's a luxury she can't afford. A wash of a pale color to brighten up the eye and some mascara really are all you need.
For me, since my eyes are a bit hooded, what I'll do is just use a bit of light brown cream shadow above the crease, just quickly blended with a finger, to create depth.
Alternatively, just even curl the lashes and add a bit of mascara, and nothing else at all on the lids: this will make you look more awake.

Keep the eye makeup for when you have time!


Rule #3: be strategic with color.
Since you're not playing up the eyes, you need to use color as a way to look polished without having much makeup on. That means that you cannot skip blush! I find that both cream and powder apply very well but if you have a long day ahead of you, cream might last longer (unless you're oily) and is easily apply with fingers so go for that.
Now the star in this quick makeup is the lip! Be it a gloss or a lipstick, pick a product that will give color to the whole face in combination with the blush. Make sure those 2 are in the same color family if you want to be sure that you make no mistake (rules are meant to be broken but exeperimentation isn't a good idea when you're in a rush).


Rule #4: what can be done outside of the house should be done outside of the house.
Keep a compact powder and a puff in your purse so you can powder in your car or on your way rather than  in your bathroom. Apply lip product in the car, too, that's what I do EVERY single morning.
Hey, that's only 2 mins, but there's no small gain!
If you can't do that during your commuting, work bathrooms work as well for those little operations.


And so here's the result, as I'm following my own advice today:






Ok, I spent an extra couple of minutes on the brows but really, that's a matter of personal preference and that's a little obsession of mine.


With this strategy, you can look fresh, awake and polished in less than 10 minutes - that has been tested and approved by my friend!


Lipstick featured: Illamasqua Maneater. Blush : Illamasqua Unrequited.

4 comments:

  1. I'm always late (or waking up super early) cause this look is something that my face can't pull off. I don't feel comfortable with almost bare eyes and colorful lips.
    That being said, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points. I think more people should read this because i think we worry with too much detail especially on eyes. Sometimes less is just as good as more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, these advice are like gold! Sweetie I am not anymore doing the fancy face... Depends on day and time I have left. I am most of the time relying on the precious advice you gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips! I'll definitly keep these in mind and apply them when I get back to work next month!

    PS: check out my Sephora Travel Giveaway when you get a chance ;)

    http://gayleswishlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!