December 21, 2011

Battle of the mattifying primers - Review #1 : Illamasqua Matt Primer





The Product.
The Illamasqua Matt Primer contains 1 Oz. / 30 ml and costs £19,50 - USD 30.
It has a SPF of 20.


Packaging.
This is a transparent plastic bottle with a nose that allows an easy pouring of the product. Being plastic, the bottle is quite light. The cap is square and you can store the product on it.


Formula.
This is a rather liquidy product, easy to pour, it makes me think of a lotion. It has the typical Illamasqua vanilla smell (think Mac lipsticks, if you want) but that fades very quickly.
Since it's quite liquidy, it's easy to spread but it does feel a tad bit sticky, unlike a silicone-rich gel formula would be, for example.


Ingredients list.
Aqua (Water), Nylon-12, Octocrylene, Homosalate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycerin, Octyldodecanol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmeth-Ane (Avobenzone), Ceteareth-12, Ceteareth-20, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Allantoin, Cetearyl Glucoside, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance).



The results.
You will find my detailed testing protocol here. I was wearing the Illamasqua primer on the right side of my face. Here are a few pictures taken through the day.



This first picture was taken right after application of the primer and of my base. As you can see, when i say I have redness on my cheeks, I'm not lying: this isn't blush!!
Foundation was easy to apply, not as sliding as on a silicon base because of the slight tackyness of the product, but it didn't make my foundation blotchy in anyway.






Here we are after a few hours of wear that included going to run errands and doing and abs workout. Since I got out of the house, I had added liner, mascara and a tad bit of blusher on the back of my cheekbones - but obviously no powder and no base touch-ups at all.
Even if some areas are getting a tad bit oilier (and I'm not even saying oily, just slightly shiny due to natural oils), the overall result is still pretty good.




And as you can see, at this stage, there is no evident difference between this side of my face (on the left of the picture) and the other side. In real life I would say that there was a slight difference, this side being a very tiny bit more luminous (I couldn't even say glowy, let alone oily!) after a few hours, but nothing worrying.


Unfortunately, since the days are currently so short, taking good pictures of my face at the end of the day was quite difficult. So here's one taken without flash but with daylight light bulb directed at my face: that's the best I could get.






We are now a good 12 hours after application. As you can see, redness has started to reappear around my nose area. We can say that my foundation has slightly disappeared around places, wich is hard to avoid after 12 hours. But you can also see that shine is avoided on most of my face - my eyes don't count since I didn't prime that area, but this way they're also a good comparison between primed and unprimed skin!


Conclusions.
I would say that this definitely offers good value for money. It will provide a smooth base for your makeup and increase its longevity, keeping most of the shine at bay. I would totally recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, I must try this one! Nice review (:

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!