January 6, 2012

Foundation Review #30 : Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum



Believe me, I resisted for a long time before getting this. The original Healthy Mix fiasco wasn't very encouraging, I must say.
But then everyone is raving about this little guy all over the blogosphere, Lisa Eldridge has used it, Pixiwoo sisters have used it... peer pressure, I'm telling you, so I gave in. Not a very expensive purchase, since Bourjois is drugstore here, so I got this 30 ml bottle for about 9€. I got the shade 51, which is the lightest one and has a beige neutral undertone.


The packaging:
This comes in a sleek plastic bottle with a pump. Makes you wonder why some high end products come without one, if you can have one at this price. The bottle is very light.


What the brand says:
16 hour radiance booster, Instant anti-fatigue result! Give your skin a boost of radiance with Bourjois’ Healthy Mix Serum Gel foundation with a vitamin-rich fruit therapy formula for an even complexion and an instant anti-fatigue result! Contains 3 anti-oxydants: litchi, goji and pomegranate. Semi-matte finish.

My opinion on the product:
Let me tell you right away that I didn't have any allergy issue with this one, so that's good.
Other than that: I really, really wanted to like it. But I don't. Let me explain.

First of all, this has a very heavy fruity scent. Luckily, it doesn't linger on the skin after you have applied, but while you're applying it's really strong and it's not for everyone, as it is kind of sickly sweet.
When you pour it, the product definitely looks like a liquid more than like a gel, but when you apply you do feel that this is in fact a bit thicker in texture than a regular liquid. I used almost 2 pumps for my whole face, but the pump isn't really precise so it's hard to tell if both pumps were equal.

Now I was expecting a light coverage but this actually doesn't cover anything at all. I mean, it will even out your skintone a bit, but it doesn't cover any redness or anything. I have honestly used tinted moisturizers that had more coverage than this foundation (my Origin Vita Zings covers more, just to name one). That means that you definitely need concealer for your undereye area but also for any redness or discoloration that you would like to hide - unless you have perfect skin there's no way you can get away with this product without doing some extra concealing.

The finish is supposed to be semi-matte, as described on the packaging. I actually looked like I had put a layer of water on my face. I gave it up to a couple of hours to set but it was, if anything, only getting worse. And that wasn't on my T-zone only, but also on my cheeks that are currently as dry as the desert of Gobi. I ended up powdering my face to balance that - which is counterproductive when you have dry patches that you'd rather not powder.
After about an hour, the shine was peeking through the powder again, only in a more subtle way.

I rarely wear makeup for 16 hours straight, so I don't know if that longevity claim is right. I used the product without primer and even though it lasted relatively well (with the powder on top, remember), it kind of disappeared a bit on my nose area.

My conclusion.
I cannot really recommend this. It might work for you if you're normal to dry, with a skin that needs virtually no concealing, and that you love an extremely dewy finish.

This product is available at drugstores in Europe and Canada (as far as I know), or can be ordered from ASOS and delivered anywhere in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much about this complete review. I was thinking to buy it, but then of reading you, I desist. My skin is similiar than yours, well, more oily I think. And I've got a lot of dark points and another signs of post-spots, so I look for something "fit" but "cubrient", you know?
    Thank you so much. I like so much Pixiwoo sisters, but I mean, they have perfect skin... !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Saskia:You might like Perfection Lumiere better? I have a review on that if you want.
    Yes, the Pixiwoo sisters already look like they have foundation on when they're bare-skinned :))

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!