January 16, 2012

Foundation Review #32: Rouge Bunny Rouge Milk Aquarelle



Yes, I'm in a foundation hoarding period again, it's my thing, don't judge. (That mostly happens when Winter makes my skin a hell and my old favorites don't look good on me, though)
This one I have wanted to try for the longest time, but it's a very expensive one and so I waited until I could get a discount code to try it. I was also a bit scared that I wouldn't find a match, even though Zuneta now sells samples of this foundation for you to try out before you commit. I am happy to report that I got this in the shade Almond Milk Parfait, which is the second one on the ladder, a beige with yellow undertones - and that it works well for me.


The packaging:
Luxurious, as with any Rouge Bunny Rouge product! The foundation is packaged in a frozen glass bottle with an airless black pump and a black cap. It comes in this lovely solid cardboard round box, which opens on some kind of holder into which your bottle will stand.
This is, as often, a 30 ml - 1 O.z bottle.


What the brand says:
The dreamily light gel texture blends and moves with the contours of the face like a second skin and minimises imperfections to give the appearance of a flawless complexion whilst allowing your natural beauty to show through.
Packed with skin-saving protectors and botanicals including Detoxyl, a powerful anti-pollution ingredient to keep the world at bay and Bamboo, which conditions, softens and repairs the skin. Shea Butter nourishes; Panthenol imparts long-lasting moisturisation, stimulates cell regeneration and normalises skin. Egyptian Lotus and White Water Lily Extracts protect, soften and fight free radical damage.

Apply our MILK AQUARELLE foundation quickly, using our foundation brush or your fingertips.
Foundation is best applied with a brush as this ensures an even and professional finish. Use light up-and-down strokes on the cheeks to give a natural look. As MILK AQUARELLE has a gel texture, it can be layered to give the coverage you want.


My experience with the product.
The pump delivers quite a lot of product, so one pump is definitely enough to do your whole face.
When I tried this for the first time, I was really afraid that the product would be too olive toned, but was very pleased to see that it mixed quite well with my skin. It might be just a tad bit too dark for my Winter skin, but it's the perfect undertone and so it blends perfectly.
You can apply with brush or fingers, in my experience, fingers give a tad bit more coverage, but for me it's always the quickest way to apply and what I tend to do the most. I found the product very easy to apply and blend with a brush too, though.
If you read the ingredients list below, you'll see that this foundation has a high content in silicones, which can definitely be feeled upon application: the texture is light, almost mousse-like (I didn't find it fet like a gel like announced in the product description) and it feels velvety. It spreads very easily and you don't need much product at all.
The finish is slightly luminous, not overly shiny but definitely not matte. You might want to powder your T-Zone if you tend to get shiny on there. The coverage is light-to medium, it will erase redness but you'll still need a bit of concealer on problem areas. You could build up the coverage, however, but then this starts looking less natural in my opinion, and you will look like you're wearing makeup - which is ok but not always what we want.
It lasts pretty well all day, with our without primer, but I like to use my Metamorphoses Mattifying Primer underneath on my T-Zone. This also prevents the enhancing of pores, which can happen with this kind of formula in my experience.

Yes, this is me wearing Milk Aquarelle.


Not sure about the skincare claims, though. It doesn't dry out my skin or break me out , but I can't say much more than that.


My Conclusion.
This foundation retails for £59, which is expensive. You might want to order when there is a discount code available to ease the pain.
However, if you are on the hunt for a high end product with a natural finish and a light-medium coverage, this is an excellent product, definitely one of the best foundations I have tried in a while. It is quite different from my beloved Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, a notch up coverage wise, and a very different texture. But I think Milk Aquarelle is perfect for normal/combination to dry skin, while the Chanel one is more for normal/combination to oily - so they are suitable for different people or different skin conditions through the year. I would also say this is lighter in feel and coverage and more natural than Chanel Perfection Lumiere (which I might not be liking that much after all).

Ingredients list for the science nerds:
AQUA (STERILISED WATER), ISODODECANE, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, DIMETHICONE, GLYCERIN, TRIHYDROXYSTEARIN, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL (PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE), BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER EXTRACT, PHENOXYETHANOL, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, HEXYL LAURATE, CETYL DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL (CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE), SORBITOL, ALUMINA, METHYLPARABEN, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SILICA, NELUMBIUM SPECIOSUM EXTRACT (NELUMBO NUCIFERA FLOWER EXTRACT), NYMPHAEA ALBA ROOT EXTRACT, BAMBUSA VULGARIS EXTRACT, PANTHENOL, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, TETRASODIUM EDTA, PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, BHT (+/-): CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77492 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES)]


4 comments:

  1. I bought Perfection Lumiere but I must sadly say that I am returning it. I do not love. I may be trying this soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the fence with that one (PL). It's a good product but I'm not sure it's the kind of thing I'm enjoying to wear these days anymore. Still undecided, might blog-sell it.

      Delete
  2. New layout?? Looks amazing! I am a big fan of this foundation but I just cant wear it in summer or I shine like mad. However the feel of it is so nice I wish more brands had this texture!!

    I want to try PL BUT i have heard so many bad things about its texture. Which is odd because I am a fan of matte foundations and all the usual blogs who like the same foundations as me hated it. Silly move by chanel to get rid of 2 classic foundations for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like matte foundations, Clarins Everlasting is a pretty good one! I'm still hesitating about keeping PL or not, I need to try it again. But chances are that in Winter they will indeed perform better than Milk Aquarelle!

      Delete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!