January 9, 2012

Foundation review (sort of) #31: Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15



Does this count as a foundation? I don't know. But I wear it as if it were one, so let's say it does count.


So you have heard me whine about my cheeks being dry, my usual HG foundations not looking right and the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum fiasco, I couldn't leave things at that and I went looking for another option.
I usually don't like tinted moisturizers because they can look shiny on my T-zone and they don't cover much, but I had read great reviews on this one, and I must tell you that I'm pleasantly surprised!


The packaging: 
A very light plastic tube with a cap. The tube is very flat so it doesn't take up too much space. The product pours through a little nose.


What the brand says:
Smooth on an instant moisture boost with SPF protection and a hint of skin-perfecting colour. Refreshingly lightweight formula provides a no-makeup look and feel, yet covers imperfections with a natural, hydrating touch. Oil-free.
6 shades available - All skintypes - Sheer coverage



My opinion on the product:
I got the product in the shade 2, which is the lightest one available here. It looks quite dark and rather peachy, and I was convinced it wouldn't match me at all, but actually it's not that dark at all when you apply, and once it's set, it's looking like a good match. 
The product is very liquidy, rather easy to spread but maybe a tad bit sticky. Nothing dramatic, though. I apply it with my hands, like I do most of the time with foundations.


The product being perfume free means that it doesn't smell very good. The truth is, most cosmetics smell pretty bad, which is why they're heavily scented, so if you skip the perfume, there's a chemical smell going on. I used Clinique moisturizers in the past that smelled like this so maybe it's typical for the brand. However the smell doesn't linger at all once the product is applied.


I have been using this on top of my Oskia Get Up And Glow serum, and on my T-Zone I also add the Rouge Bunny Rouge Metamorphoses primer. I add a bit of powder on the T-zone so that I don't get shiny through the day. The product being oil free is definitely an asset.


I was actually very surprised by how much I liked this Tinted Moisturizer. It has a very decent amount of coverage and it doesn't look greasy at all, as you can see on this picture.





Even though I still need to use concealer on my undereyes area and around the nose, this hides the redness of my cheeks incredibly well, I wasn't expecting that at all.
The finish is luminous but not greasy and if you're a bit combination, some powder will definitely solve that for you.

This has been bringing a lot of comfort to my dry cheeks. I don't know if anything else in my routine has influenced my skin at the same time, but I do notice improvement now that I'm using this, so this definitely works better for me at the moment than foundations that may countain alcohol or other ingredients that are too harsh for dryer skin.

My conclusion
Clinique Moisture Surge TM SPF 15 retails for USD26 - €23 to € 28 (depending on your country).
This is definitely an affordable product with a very good quality.
If you're usually turned off by tinted moisturizers because they're too sheer or too rich in texture, this one might change your opinion!

2 comments:

  1. I may give this a go as my skin is combination and I always tend to concentrate on getting rid of oil, but as a consequence I seem to have dry cheeks now too! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I'm going to try this out now! I am normal to dry skin with an oily nose.. great combination!

    http://p0larmilk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!