January 21, 2012

The Givenchy Spring haul, and a Chanel makeover!



I was at the mall today and, surprise!, between Wednesday and now, all Spring collections have arrived!

Let's start with Givenchy: everything is as gorgeous as I hoped it would be! The only thing I decided not to get was the other blush, the peachy pink one. I found that, once swatched, it looked pinked and glowy and reminded me of Lune Rosee from the Winter collection. So I decided to pass on that one.

I did see and swatch a lot of other things, though. Nothing appealing to me from Dior nor Guerlain, but Chanel did unexpectedly catch my attention, particularly as one of their makeup artists was their for the day to do makeovers.



I had already decided I would get the pretty blusher, and I was also interested in the nailpolishes but even though they were on display, the store hadn't received them yet - that will be for another time.
While I was at it, since I had nothing else on than VitaZings tinted moisturizer and my brows, I asked if the makeup artist could do a look on me with the eyeshadow quad, Eclosion.

This was pretty interesting because I find those Chanel quads very hard to use. We get a baked, dome shaped version of them in Europe that is very different from the other Chanel eyeshadows. The makeup artist told me that the key to working well with them was to not use brush, but rather cotton tip applicators (she insisted on cotton and not sponge). That's what she used to apply the eyeshadows on me.

She also used the new Crayon Waterproof liner in Grenat, which I thought was very pretty. Since this has been my favorite pencil liner for a while (I own Espresso and Ebene), I decided to get it as well.
Other than that, she used their concealer pen, their mascara base under their mascara and the Poudre Universelle Compacte in Jasmin (also part of this collection). On the lips I think it's Rose Coco Paradis, at least it looked like it in the tube but it's not that bright in real life.



I like the way she worked with the liners, mixing Grenat with a bit of Ebene (black) on the outer corners and on the waterline. As for the shadows and their application, though, I have doubts. There is no matte color in the quad, so it's a bit too shimmery all over for my liking. The placement with the little applicators lacks a bit of blending for my liking, even though a sharp application can be a look.


I didn't get the quad (no big negociation with myself there as it was already out of stock anyway) and don't think I will. I can easily dupe that look with eyeshadows in my collection, and the Grenat liner is a key to the look so I'm all set.

So, that should be it for my Spring shopping, excepted for some polishes, as I said.



I'm not sure about May, but I want April and June!


What do you ladies think of these products? What are you looking forward to/getting this Spring?

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love those shades on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Givenchy looks gorgeous, especially the Bucolic Poppy! Is it very pigmented?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the quad and purchased it. I wouldn't say it is totally unique, but wearable and pretty. June was a hard formula for me to use and I needed up retuning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, I might stick with April then.

      Delete
  4. I need to be confident enough to walk up to an SA and be like 'demonstrate this. ON MA FACE!'. I only did the Illamasqua makeover cause it was offered to me free! I think the look she did is really pretty, but not worth buying the quad for. Applicators is just... Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about confidence, I'd say that a/ it gets better as you age (I'm an old 34 yo cow hehe) and b/ faking it if you don't feel it works very well. Look up, smile, and go!! Since I had just purchased one of their products (I added the liner afterwards) and the lady was there to do makeups for free in the hope of selling, I don't see why I wouldn't have asked, know what I mean?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to do a review of the blusher? Whad do you think about the powder? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that Chanel pink palette, but the eyeshadow colors look gorgeous on you. Purply taupe goodness. As for the spring colors, I bought April nail polish but haven't used it yet because my nails are in rough shape and I am waiting for some health to grow back out of them! It's so pretty--deeper than it looks online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look! I use similarly hued eyeshadows daily. I like it paired with the pink lips. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!