January 12, 2012

Rouge Bunny Rouge Seas of Illuminations liquid highlighter - Sea of Clouds





Liquid highlighters can be tricky to use, but when they're used well, they look damn pretty. And often less frosty or shimmery than their powder counterparts.


I used a few liquid highlighters in the past, the most famous being Becca Luminous Skin Perfector, but I couldn't find one that I really liked. That Becca product irritated my skin a bit so I got rid of it. I like their Illuminate Wash better but it's a thicker texture that you can't really mix with foundation because of it's lipgloss-type packaging.  I have a lovely Illamasqua one but it's so tinted it almost looks like a blush, and I often forget about it, too.
And so, under peer pressure and using a discount, I decided to try a RBR highlighter.


I went for Sea Of Clouds, which is a white pearly color, as I think it's more versatile than a pinky or peachy version, and also easier to mix with foundation.


Packaging
Identical to the foundation or primer, this is a glass bottle of 30ml with a black airless pump and cap.


What the brand says:
This multipurpose water-based fluid blends easily with moisturiser, or with foundation, to customise the look - to yours alone. Create an inside-out illumination effect and blend it to a thin, refined wash of pearls. Light fragrance of Cucumber with a touch of Peach Flower will add to your application pleasure. A quartet of shades with Melissa extract to soothe, and Vitamin E to guard against ageing. The highlighting liquid can be used alone or over moisturiser and as a highlighter, over foundation, too.

My experience with the product.
Holy highlighter Batman! This really wears its name well!!
The first time I used it, I put a generous pump on the back of my hand, used my Mac 188 stippling brush, and I honestly think I applied way too much. Even though I kind of liked it. And it did show up well in pictures.

See that lovely glow?
I have now come to learn how to use it properly: try to get less than half a pump out (not always easy with that pump, I'm afraid), start lightly and build up. Using fingers gives a less diffused look but allows more control on where to place it. I am yet to try a blending brush in the style of a Mac 222, I think it would work pretty well.

I love the light scent of this product too, nothing cloying or overpowering, it doesn't last too long either, but it's very fresh and nice - a bit coconutty but in a very understated way.
Again, I can't say too much on the supposed skincare virtues of the ingredients, but I didn't have any skin issues using this.

My conclusion.
This is love. This is seriously my favorite amongst all the liquid highlighters that I have tried, not only in terms of results when applied on the sking, but also in terms of texture, blendability, ease of use and longevity on the skin.
If you can afford only one liquid higlighter and are ready to invest a bit for a great product, this is the one to get.

Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Illuminations highlighters come in four colors and can be ordered from Zuneta for about £49.


Ingredient list for the science nerds:
AQUA, MICA, CYCLOMETHICONE, CETEARYL ETHYLHEXANOATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SQUALANE, SODIUM POLYASPARTATE, BEHENETH-30, MYRISTYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERYL ISOSTEARATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, POTASSIUM CETYL PHOSPHATE, GLYCERIN, DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL, HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL GLYCERIDES, SODIUM ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYL DIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ISOHEXADECANE, MELISSA OFFICINALIS, CARBOMER, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, PARFUM, HYDROGENATED PALM GLYCERIDES, POLYSORBATE 80, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM HYALURONATE, XANTHAN GUM, TOCOPHEROL, CELLULOSE GUM, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, FRUCTOSE, GLUCOSE, SUCROSE, UREA, DEXTRIN, ALANINE, GLUTAMIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, BENZYL SALICYLATE. (+/-): CI 77891, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77007

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this (as you know! lol) and you captured its beauty in pictures better than any of us!
    Now I unscrew the pump and dip out a little bit with the end of the 'straw', much easier than trying to get half a pump :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww Kate, thanks for the advice, I didn't even think of that! *facepalm* And thanks for recommending it, it's really a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the sample of this and will get the full size when I have used it up. I do hope RBR add more colours to the line up as I love the formula of these, really easy to work with and cause my senstive skin no problems :)

      Delete
  3. I think you got the last one! I finally went to Zuneta web site and Sea of Clouds is no longer there. *sniffle*

    I used Kate's method for Becca, and I agree that Becca formulas can be very irritating to my skin--both their SSP and the TM.

    Oh, well, I'll have to stalk zuneta.com and hope it comes back in stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it'll be back soon! The Becca one was really upsetting my skin, I'm so happy this one works so much better for me!

      Delete
    2. It's back! But my Shu Uemura Stage Peformer Instant Glow arrived yesterday, and now I am torn. I guess I'll have to go back out to the blogosphere and read reviews, work myself into a lather. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, and my manners! I meant to say that this product looks gorgeous on you. Your skin is so luminous and glowy. Impressive that you were able to capture the subtleties on camera.

      Delete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!