February 20, 2012

Lipstick Bandits: Starter Lipstick



Love Affair with lipsticks have to start somewhere. One moment, one color, one particular texture, and you're hooked for life!


For me, that very particular lipstick was Nina Ricci in #13 - Les Sépias.





We're talking about the early 1990's here... I was 15 when I bought this lipstick (with birthday money, if I remember well). I chose it mostly because of the gorgeous packaging, and picked the color because it was a kind of sophisticated "my lips but better", with a slight brownish tone that was a must for lips at that time! I think the name attracted me a lot too. "Sepia" always reminded me of pictures taken in the Summer in the South of France or in Italy... fields of gold turned brownish for a romantic touch.


But then I really fell in love with that lipstick because it was flattering, visible enough for me to stand out from the teenage high school crowd without looking inappropriate, and the texture was creamy, not drying and long lasting.







Swatch!
I loved this color so much that I wore it every day and used up two full tubes of it. Then I got daring and bougt #14, wich was a bit more red and more bright. As you can see, my love for statement lips isn't new.


Finding a dupe for this long-gone color is hard, but Mac Charismatic, which you can see me wearing here, is definitely reminding me of Les Sepias.





A huge thank you to the lovely Sara who was able to take those pictures and swatch the lipstick for me. She was more sentimental than I am, I guess, since she kept the product all these years. Seeing those pictures was a blast from the past for me!


Find out what other Lipstick Bandits picked as Starter Lipsticks!


19 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This looked so beige in the swatch that I thought: no way would this look flattering at all!

    But it looks really great on you. :) It almost has a rosy tinge. Thanks for sharing. That tube looks quite vintage lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that packaging, and of course the color looks so lovely on you! What an excellent choice for a beginner lipstick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you remember this! The color is a great beginner shade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember because of the odd #13 :-)

      Delete
  4. Really pretty shade! I love it looks on you! It's just nude enough. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed that you found someone to help you out with photos and swatches! What a lovely nude and such original packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I didn't even know Nina Ricci had lipsticks! This one is gorgeous, and I like the reasoning that went into your purchase ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha don't make me feel older! It was 20 years ago, after all.

      Delete
  7. Aww! Your "lipstick origins" story is my favourite. (Well, my second favourite. Larie's is my very first favourite, because I'm in it. :P)

    I love that someone on MUA was able to swatch & photograph this for you - what would we do without them, right? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just hoping to find a pic of the packaging, really (google did not help), that was a great surprise!

      Delete
  8. I didn't even know Nina Ricci made cosmetics! I'm not normally into shades that lean more into brown, but you wear it *very* well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown shades scream 90's in our minds, but I do think they can be flattering!

      Delete
  9. Like everyone else, I didn't even know about Nina Ricci cosmetics :D Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they still have a range available in some countries (Asia maybe) with an all-white packaging now.

      Delete
  10. Oh man! One of my first high end lipsticks was a Nina Ricci lipstick, too! It was a gift from this woman my mom worked with. She used to give me the gift with purchases from her makeup. Random!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!