February 9, 2012

Currently testing: La Roche Posay Cicaplast Balm B5

Not that I wanted to test this, really, but here's what my hands are looking like at the moment (apologies, it ain't pretty!) And I'm pretty sure many of you have the same kind of issue in Winter.



See that I'm not exagerating when I complain about what Winter is doing to me? This, my friends, is dermatitis. I get it purely because of the cold, and it's aggravated by, well, everything: warm water, soap, detergents... And since I make a point of washing my hands regularly, especially in Winter when viruses are all around, well... that's the result. 
It looks bad and wait for the fun part: it itches like crazy, particularly at night.
I used to be able to get rid of it with my Nuxe Reve de Miel handcream, but that was before they changed the formula so now, I'm screwed. So I went to the pharmacy for advice and was given this:






This is a brand new product by La Roche Posay. Cicaplast balm B5 claims to "favors the recovery for sensitive skin after irritative dermatitis and epidermic alterations thanks to its formula associating Panthenol 5% with Madecassoside with a highly-cosmetic texture. Suitable for the entire family: babies, children and adults."

Indications, according to the brand:
  • Skin irritations in adults, children and babies (chapping, rough patches…).
  • Cutaneous heating sensations in adults.
  • Can be applied to body, face and lips.
  • Optimal tolerance, suitable for sensitive skin. Paraben-free. Fragrance-free. Lanolin-free. White-mark free. 

My experience with it.
I've only been using this for 2 days so I'll have to get back to you on that. What I can say now is that the balm sinks in quickly but I do find it's a little bit sticky for a while. It makes the treated areas feel a bit dryish, just like when you use hydrocortocoids.
Speaking of those, they would actually get rid of my dermatitis faster but a/ they're prescription only and b/ they make the treated skin very fragile and thinned, therefore pharmacists prefer this less risky alternative.
After two days I find the raised bumps have diminished a bit and the itchiness has lowered but I'm curious as of how long it will take before I'm completely cured. I'll keep you updated.

Ingredients for the science nerds, you'll notice there's Copper, Zinc and Manganese as well in the mix.

AQUA / WATER
HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE
DIMETHICONE
GLYCERIN
BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER
PANTHENOL
BUTYLENE GLYCOL
ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE
PROPANEDIOL
CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE
TRISTEARIN
ZINC GLUCONATE
MADECASSOSIDE
MANGANESE GLUCONATE
MAGNESIUM SULFATE
DISODIUM EDTA
COPPER GLUCONATE
ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE
POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE
SODIUM BENZOATE
PHENOXYETHANOL
CHLORHEXIDINE DIGLUCONATE
CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE

LRP Cicaplast Balm B5 - 100ml - about €8 / USD18.

BONUS TRICK TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN DURING WINTER.
This is advice I was given by Finnish and Estonian friends (those girls can do Winter, I'm telling you): DO NOT apply creams or lotions before going out. If there's water in them, that's going to make your skin worse. Apply most of your treating skincare at night and if you need to apply during the day, make sure it's an hour before you go out.

13 comments:

  1. Same thing here! If you have cotton gloves at home try to sleep in them it will be of tremendous help.
    My hands are not pretty either but I found that packing on some hand cream with vaseline on top to seal everything in place and cotton gloves is the best way to minimize the collateral damages. I wear them as much as I can when I am home even if it means not playing with my iPad anymore.
    And of course I travel around at work with my own lil bottle of cleansing oil (Aderma's Exomega). Hand soap from collectivity is surely a vicious devil invention!
    Hope it will get better soon as what you have been recommended seems quite potent. Keep faith in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have cotton gloves but I've done that with socks in the past, lol. I didn't layer the products like you though, I might try that (but then how do I use the iPhone? argh!)
      Didn't think of Exomega, I might need to get that for work as well, the products we have there are highly agressive due to the high hygiene environment of the place and it kills me! Thanks for the advice dear! xx

      Delete
  2. poor you! I only use Olive oil on my hands.... really soothes dry and irritated skin! and its so natural!
    xxx Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmh, will check the kitchen cupboard ;-p thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have year-round problems with dermatitis and dyshidrosis and am always looking for alternatives to steroids. I would be grateful to know how this performs over the long term. For what it's worth, I recently began using extra-virgin, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil on my hands at night after reading that it works for eczema, and after three days I can definitely see an improvement. It outperforms my standard Aquaphor or petroleum jelly, and my sensitive skin seems to have no problems with it--not always the case for complex natural products.

    I always enjoy your blog. Thanks for all the work you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the information and for reading my blog :) I will post an update on this product.

      Delete
  4. Ohh I am curious to see if it works out!!
    Great tip about applying moisturizers at night. I didnt know that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised to hear that too! It seems to be working, slowly but surely :)

      Delete
  5. Look at your poor little hand! I think B5 and zinc are a lovely idea for your skin. In fact, making a soothing B5 & zinc moisturiser would be super easy to do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Sarah, I wish you were living next door so you could teach me :)

      Delete
  6. Ugh...you poor thing. I have the same itchy, dry skin on my hands if I'm not good about moisturizing. Luckily, our winter has been pretty mild (fingers crossed!), so I haven't had to battle with it for too long. I second the cotton gloves and I'm a big fan of Burt's Bees hand salve. Healing and good for sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived where you live, I don't know what I'd look like!!

      Delete
  7. I feel your pain. My skin flares up like this frequently (just because it fancies annoying me methinks). Hope this works for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!