June 25, 2012

Breaking news: a new way to find your foundation match.

We all know how hard it is to find our match in a new foundation, not only when we're buying it at the counter, let alone when we need to order it online. Lots of guesstimations that can end in Ommpa-Loompa disasters!


There is now a website that should help us all with this delicate task : it's call Findation.
Findation is currently in a Beta version, which means that there is still improvement to come in the way they work. Basically the website is based on a algorythm that calculate your match in any foundation from the correct matches you give. You start by giving at least 2 very accurate matches that work 100% for you, then you will be given a list of foundations marked with a percentage of accuracy for you.


In my case, I used Nars Sheer Glow Gobi and Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in B10 as references. I know now that Shu Uemura Face Architect in Fair Beige 784 would be a 100% match for me, while Revlon Colorstay in Ivory would only be good at 62%. Isn't that impressive?


From what I understand, the more request the website collects, the more accurate the matches are going to be. In the future they also plan on being able to give you your matches based on just one reference you'd provide.


I'm not sure this kind of thing can ever be 100% accurate but I think it's a very good base and a pretty cool tool that will take some of the guessing out of the process of finding our match!

16 comments:

  1. This seems like a big fat ripoff of Temptalia's foundation matrix to me...and I don't even read Temptalia anymore, but the work she put into that matrix is insane and I hope this new venture doesn't underwrite that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point, Caroline. Although the issue I have with Temptalia's matrix is that being 100% user based, some of the information is very inaccurate and also, for one mac match, you will get 3 to 5 possible matches in another foundation, which isn't helpful at all.
      I think the great value with Findation is the accuracy percentage.
      But yes, Christine did an awsome job there, and I'm sure it will remain a very good reference.

      Delete
    2. yes, the addition of the percentages does seem to take it to the "next level" in helpfulness :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great site, my main concerns is that many women can't find foundations that work for them to start with, and also depending on the formulation, some foundations change colour on the user. I find that a lot of foundation tend to oxidize on me during that "special" time of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the best scenario is always to get a sample and try the product for a full day before purchasing, of course. I do that whenever I can. However lots of people have only access online to certain brands so this is helpful if you cannot see the product in real life.
      Oxydation is an issue, indeed, and it's very hard to foresee.

      Delete
    2. My thought exactly Natasha- when have I ever found a foundation that matched me 100% :) Having said that, I'm definitely going to check this out!

      BTW, oxidation is most often caused by the skin's oils mixing with the foundation- and it is typical to be slightly oilier during "those" times. If that sounds like a possibility to you, using an oil control moisturizer that week may solve your foundation problems :)

      Delete
  3. This is really interesting. I have not found a match for me yet, but this will help a lot of women for sure.

    Have a nice week, M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. check back in a while, Cé, they're still adding stuff!

      Delete
  4. I'm bookmarking this...I'm a foundie freak so this would be incredibly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I like that. I'll be using this a lot in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! I'm for sure checking this out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Je n'ai jamais trouvé un fond de teint parfaitement adapté... Pourtant j'ai suivi un petit cours de maquillade à Make Up Forever mais je vois toujours une différence entre mon visage et mon cou en été, ça m'énerve et du coup je mets un p'tit foulard =) Du coup, je me suis rabattue sur les Bb Cream, je trouve que la différence se marque nettement moins. Et puis je "luis" moins aussi, ce qui si je me souviens bien était également un de tes soucis non ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contrairement à ce qu'on peut penser, j'ai découvert que généralement, si je luis, c'est parce que ma peau est déshydratée!! Sinon, elle brille un peu sur la zone T en fin d'aprem mais j'ai appris à vivre avec :) Je n'ai jamais trouvé de bb crème qui ne soit ou trop riche ou trop asséchante.
      Mon visage EST plus foncé que mon cou sans maquillage, je descends un peu le fdt, s'il faut j'ajoute un peu de bronzer. L'été j'autobronze et tout est uniforme :)
      Sinon je dois utiliser un fdt de la couleur de mon cou, mais ça c'est vraiment visage pâle (et plus difficile à trouver comme couleur), je ne fais ça qu'en hiver!

      Delete
  8. I did not see the percentages anywhere? Just a lot of suggestions and most were off, and I could not add my shades that were missing. But I'm bookmarking since it's a beta version. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!