September 19, 2012

Foundation Review # 36 : Urban Decay Naked Skin

You know how I can't resist testing a new foundation, and it's been a while,so when I heard about this one, which claims to be a water-based skin-like formula (which I love), I HAD to try it.

What the brand says:
Coverage Without Compromise:
- Flawless ultra definition finish
- Natural radiance without shine
- Weightless buildable coverage
- Packed with nourishing ingredients
Naked Skin is a buildable formula that allows you to customize your look. From light to full coverage, it feels like wearing nothing at all, yet transforms complexions. Skin looks natural, illuminated and bright: like the beautiful skin you were born with.

My experience with the product.
First of all, there was the matching issue, since I had to buy online. The UD website has a "switch" tool that converts your current foundation in a Naked shade, however the choice of foundations there is very limited. The closest I found in their list was MUFE HD in 117, which translates in 2.0 in Naked skin (the .0 shades are yellow toned while the 0.5 shades are pink toned). However, a friend who had swatched them told me that 2.0 would definitely be too dark for me and I ended up getting 1.0

I tried a few different applications and I found that, probably due to the high silicone percentage in the formula, this goes on quite streaky if you use a flat foundation brush. A buffing brush or your hands will work best for a good finish.
The silica is quite high in the ingredients list, so the finish will be quite matte. There's a very slight dewiness to it, but it's definitely not luminous, it's on the satin/matte side of the spectrum in my opinion.
The coverage is light to medium but easily buildable if you have redness or patchy areas to cover.

Here's me wearing it:


As you can see, the color is a rather good match, however I find the result a bit flat, and not particularly flattering on me. So much for the "radiance without shine". Maybe that's because I usually enjoy more luminous finishes - that could be corrected with a liquid or cream higlighter, although I find that quite boring to do.

My main concern with this foundation is that it promises to be weightless and natural. And yes, it is weightless, you really don't feel anything on your skin, yet I find it fails at looking like skin. As light as it is and even if you use just a little, you won't like "it's your skin but better" - you will look like you're wearing makeup.

All in all: not a foundation for me. The finish isn't luminous or natural enough, and I find I look too flat.
Also if you're sensitive to silicones and/or silica, this one is not going to be for you.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation - 30ml - $38 - €34 (bad conversion factor strikes again)

Ingredient list for the science nerds.

Aqua (Water/Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Litchi Chinensis Pericarp Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Tribehenin, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Polyglycerin-3 Crosspolymer, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Polysorbate 20, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol. All shades may contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides).


10 comments:

  1. I think it look amazing on you! But that may be just your beautiful skin. I am still interested in trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder, since you love foundations, and as I read through your foundation posts you are mostly looking for "second skin" like foundations, did you try lancome teint idole ultra or teint miracle?! I got a few samples from both of them and I used them for a while and they were really good. Especially idole ultra is a long lasting foundation.. Just to give you another option :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I must be honest, I don't like Lancome very much so I tend to stay away. I wasn't too crazy about what I tried from them during the past years, and also - yes, I know, it's stupid- this is a brand that doesn't appeal to me, most probably for marketing positioning reasons. So nowadays I have zero Lancome in my whole stash and I never tried any of their foundations. But maybe I should re-think that :)

      Delete
    2. I am exactly the same!! Lancome is probably one brand that I don't have anything in my skincare or makeup stash! And I try to stay away from it as much as possible because of bad experiences in the pasttime. Even their samples stayed in my bag for a long time but when I needed foundation and I didn't have anything with me, I tried them and the result was amazing :) I was really surprised that's why I recommended it. Well, maybe one day :)

      Delete
  3. I always think that the whole weightless thing is soooo bogus. The only weightless foundation I've ever thought was really weightless was mineral makeup and that's because it's powder. That being said, that is a really good match for your skin tone and it *looks* weightless. Maybe I'll give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I REALLY want to try this, I've heard so many good things about it and I've never tried any of Urban Decay's foundations before. This looks really great on your skin, it's so natural!


    http://playitproper.blogspot.hk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanced upon your blog when i googled "Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation Review". Well, I'm asian Chinese living in Sunny all year round Singapore. And i got to say i agree with what u said. I like the texture cause it is lightweight and watery but somehow it doesnt look natural and "naked" enough on my skin. It defintely looks like i am wearing foundation. I would prefer Bourjois healthy mix foundation over this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unfortunately allergic to this one :(

      Delete
  6. I was thinking of giving this a go but think I'll skip, I'm on a huge luminous skin look at the moment, I never find matte finishes to be too flattering on me either! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look gorgeous in the photos! I just tried UD Naked today, and I have to agree it's light, comfortable, surprisingly decent coverage, but.....but it's just a little flat, almost tiny bit bordering on prosthetic skin. Wanted to love it so bad but it's not the glowy finish we're looking for. =\

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!