June 28, 2013

Illamasqua Hydra Veil



When Illamasqua launched their Paranormal collection a couple of months ago, Hydra Veil was the one product that caught my attention.
I was probably not the only one to be intrigued because it was sold out for quite a while and I had to wait a long time before I was able to finally order and try it.

What the brand says:
Create a radiant finish with Hydra Veil's instantly rehydrating, gel formula. Providing the optimal base for your make-up, apply before foundation with an Illamasqua Brush.

Ok, I feel I need to add more details here. This product is in fact a kind of jelly that has water and glycerin as first ingredients, which means it's going to be quite hydrating. Great if you have dry and/or dehydrated skin. You only need the tiniest amount as it spreads really well, and using too much can give a bit of a tacky feel (due to the glycerin). 
In giving your skin this rehydration boost, Hydra Veil will make its surface a smooth base for makeup application. In this sense, it does prep the skin for makeup, but it's not a primer in the sense that it would  necessarily make your makeup last longer.

In short: this is a skincare product designed to prep the skin for makeup rather than to be used on its own.

The packaging:
This jar was smartly developped: once you open it, you see a little secondary lid to which a little spatula is attached. The lid is also attached to the jar so you won't drop it. The spatula is perfect to get exactly the amount you need and cut out that amount from the jelly block in the jar. Weirdly, the jelly expands again and regains its smooth surface within seconds.
Good pictures here, as I'm sans camera right now.

My experience with the product:I think this really keeps its promises: first of all it does give a hydration boost to your skin and my dehydrated cheeks are loving it. Secondly, it does create a perfect base for makeup and it makes my skin feel soft and look perfectly smooth and velvety. 
I would definitely recommend it if you have issues with hydration and with a skin surface that isn't smooth enough.

On my oilier areas, it didn't make my makeup last longer but it didn't make things worse either. 
I must say that I first tested this on a day where the temperatures were over 30°C, and my makeup still looked good after 12 hours, excepted where I usually get oily - but it was definitely not that bad. So I wouldn't use Hydra Veil if what you're looking for longevity or have a very oily skin, as it tackles skin surface and hydration much better.


Ingredient list for the science nerds:
AQUA (WATER, EAU), GLYCERIN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PEG-240/HDI COPOLYMER BIS-DECYLTETRADECETH-20 ETHER, PHENOXYETHANOL, NIACINAMIDE, CHLORPHENESIN, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, INULIN LAURYL CARBAMATE, SODIUM HYALURONATE, ALCOHOL, 3-O-ETHYL ASCORBIC ACID, DISODIUM EDTA, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), METHYLISOTHIAZOLI- NONE, ACMELLA OLERACEA EXTRACT, POTASSIUM LAURATE, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, BHT, HAEMATOCOCCUS PLUVIALIS EXTRACT, SODIUM CHLORIDE, TOCOPHEROL, BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, LIMONENE.

4 comments:

  1. This is firmly on my wish list, it sounds lovely!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you when reviewing it!

      Delete
  2. Aw, doesn't sound like anything I should use. I can get quite oily on my forehead! But then again my skin still is quite dehydrated.. I still have my By Terry Hyaluronic primer to go to, so I'm still good for awhile. Might consider this one when it's finished. It's probably a bit less steep too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Illamasqua!
    You have a lovely blog, just stumbled across it now
    Would you like to follow each other via instagram, twitter and bloglovin’?
    If so let me know and I’ll follow you right back
    My blog is a fashion/lifestyle blog!
    Speak soon,
    Have a lovely day
    Much Love,
    Kate xo

    www.and-kate.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/andkateblog
    www.instagram.com/andkateblog

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!