July 31, 2013

REN Satin Perfection BB cream : the one BB cream that I love



No, I have not changed my mind: I still hate most of the BB creams on the market. But I have find one that I really like and no surprise: it's from REN, a brand that has yet to disappoint me.


What the brand says:
A silicone free BB cream that leaves the skin looking flawless, even toned and luminous with a perfect non-oily, satin finish. This true multi-function cream provides flawless coverage that banishes imperfections, gives SPF and anti-oxidant protection while photo-rejuvenation technology offers a toning, firming, anti-ageing effect.

Results:
  • Skin looks satin smooth, matte and flawless
  • Corrects imperfections
  • Protects against UV damage
  • Revitalizes and boosts radiance
  • Skin looks firmer and more toned

My experience with the product:
The first thing about this product that I like a lot is the texture. Where lots of BB creams have a very rich texture that I find hard to blend and quite dry, this one is a much lighter texture that almost feels like a mousse. I do apply it on top of moisturized skin, though, otherwise it can still feel a bit dry when spreading it - but nowhere near as much as all the other BB creams.

The second thing is the color: where lots of BB creams are either greyish or frankly orange (yes, L'Oreal and Garnier, I'm looking at you), this one gives a bit of a healthy glow that does remind me of Origins VitaZing. It would probably look like skin on an NC20, if you are lighter, it will give you a bit of color, but in an non-orange non-offensive way!

I found that it is more satin than matte (which I like) and that through the day it can be a bit too dewy if you don't powder it - but that's what I experience with most products. 

The coverage is very light, if you want to hide redness or discoloration, you will need to add some concealer. What I like to do during Summertime is to use a product like this one or This Works Perfect Skin Miracle all over, and then dab a light foundation like Chanel Vitalumière Aqua around the nose and chin where I want more coverage.

When it comes to packaging, this is an airless pump, which is really hygienic, and you can always see how much is left as the tube is transparent. Little bit of a negative there though: the pump isn't always working great, and also you need a good couple of pumps to do your whole face, particularly as it doesn't dispense the same amount every time. That would be my biggest negative point about this product.

Finally, this product has SPF15 with broad spectrum. It's really not enough in the Summer time, unless like me you spend your days working behind the computer inside the house - otherwise, you'll need a stronger SPF underneath.

Ingredient list for the science nerds:
Aqua (Water), Caprylic/ Capric Triglyceride, Zinc Oxide, Oleyl Alcohol, Camelia Oleifera Seed Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Cetearyl Olivate, Silica, Yeast Amino Acids, Sorbitan Olivate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Myristyl Myristate, Sucrose Palmitate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Oryzanol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Isopropyl Myristate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Mannitol, Lactic Acid, Yeast Extract, Mica, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Tocopherol, Carbomer, Isostearic Acid, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Limonene, Morinda Citrifolia Extract, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Glycogen, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Propylene Carbonate, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Linalool, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, CI 77492/ CI 77491/ CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)

As per usual, REN avoid using as many nasties as they can, which is a great bonus.

Have you tried this cream and did you like it?

REN Satin Perfection BB Cream SPF 15, broad spectrum SPF 15 - 50ml - £26

2 comments:

  1. How nice to see your review of this. I got a sample of this a month or so ago and liked it enough to purchase the full size. On my NC20-ish skin, it smoothes and evens my skin tone and warms it slightly (but, as you said, not with a weird orange color). I was sorry to see that there are a number of negative reviews of this online, mainly because people expected more coverage. It's definitely sheer--but it meets my needs well. Glad to see you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too (and had been generally unimpressed by other BBs). I too got a sample (in a beauty box I presume) and liked it enough to pick up the full size in duty free on my way out to Egypt on honeymoon. Used it for 10 days on honeymoon in the evenings and was very impressed. Agree about the almost mousse texture too.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!