January 26, 2014

Garancia Elixir du Marabout Serum



I recently went hunting for some new serums to try, and decided to give this one a go after it was recommended by a friend.
Garancia is a French brand that I had never tried before. Their concept revolves around witchcraft and magical potions, which is usually not my cup of tea (I'm more into science when it comes to skincare) but if it works... why not, uh?

What it is.
So this Elixir is supposed to be an anti-ageing and anti-imperfection serum and it claims that you will see a difference in 10 days. The active ingredients are mostly from plants, and the formula holds 3 patents.
The product is slightly smelling of flowers, but that comes from a frangrance and not the ingredients. It is not offensive anyway and disappears real fast.

The packaging.
This is a glass bottle that holds 15l and comes with a pipette for precise drop counting. I confess I did drop the bottle once and really thought I would have broken it but nope. Good point there - but I wouldn't take the risk again.

How you use it.
The serum has an oily consistency but actually contains no oil. You need to use 4-5 drops for the whole face and apply morning and night. I personally only apply at night. It sinks in very fast and leaves the skin quite dry to the touch. After I couple of days I found that my skin was lacking hydration because I was using this instead of Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair which is more moisturizing. So I decided to use the Garancia Elixir first, then apply ANR on top then Hydraluron and moisturizer as usual.

The results.
I didn't expect this, but I am seriously impressed. I actually started to see results after only 3 days. In Winter my skin is always blotchy and irritated, particularly on the cheeks, and it breaks out in tiny red bumps that are like a hybrid between a papule and a whitehead. Yes, sexy, I know. It's the bane of my existence Winter after Winter.
Three days of using the Elixir, and I had noticeably less redness and papules. Ten days later and my skin is 90% clear. I have not had cheeks that pale and normal looking in years. Since the serum is the only change I brought to my routine and life in general, I can't seen any other explanation: this works.

No need to say I can only recommend this. The 15ml bottle costs €36, which is not cheap but is not excruciating either - especially if you get good results.

Ingredient list for the science geeks:
AQUA (WATER/EAU), LACTOBACILLUS/PUNICA GRANATUM FRUIT FERMENT EXTRACT, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, MALTODEXTRIN, SODIUM DEXTRAN SULFATE, GLYCERIN, PHTYOCIDE ASPEN BARK EXTRACT POWDER, SYRINGA VULGARIS (LILAC) LEAF CELL CULTURE EXTRACT, DIMETHYLMETHOXY CHROMANOL, ARRABIDAEA CHICA LEAF EXTRACT, ACETYL DIPEPTIDE-3 AMINOHEXANOATE, POLYSORBATE 20, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), XANTHAN GUM, PHENETHYL ALCOHOL, PPG-2 METHYL ETHER, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mariella, thanks for the review! I MIGHT have heard of this brand before, but I haven't tried anything yet and this sounds so promising! Irritated skin is the worst. I've been having a bit of that for the past few days. Slathering some Caudalie cream on and hoping it'll all blow over soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your skin improves soon, Sunny, but the weather is getting colder so that won't help :( Garancia is sold at iU, if you want to try it!

      Delete

I love getting comments, thanks for sharing your thoughts!